Calling all Mac Experts

Well I have the iMac up and running. Right now its primary duty will be to run squeezecenter for the abode as well as some web browsing. I have to say I am really impressed by the build quality and the quality of the OS.

This is the first Apple computer product I have bought since my first PC in 1981 so I have not really paid a lot of attention to MAC software. It has the standard Mac apps as well as iWork 08. I will probably also put aperture on their to see how I like it for working with images. Other than that I am in the dark so tell me what other killer apps I should get to put my PC's to shame.

I became a convert not long ago after 19 years in Windows. There are a lot of great apps out there, some of which have been chronicled in a certain other sites Appleland thread.

Two quickies that I can't think of similar quality apps in Windows are:

Delicious Library

a free-form DB like DEVONthink Pro

The latter has some competition in more simple apps like Yojimbo and SOHO Notes, but the most interesting may be the web-based Evernote (also Windows and browser versions) which is progressing quickly. It's free at least while in beta.

• 1 month later...

Some good apps here: Top 100 Essential Mac Applications | Mac Tricks And Tips

But there are really countless good apps and it depends on what kind of user you are. The fact that you can tailor your Mac experience to your liking is really its strongest suit. For example whether you're more keyboard or mouse focused. Whether you want one app that consolidates a lot functions or have different apps for different purposes. Whether you want minimalist apps or apps with tons of features. What kind of workflow you follow, etc.

My personal favourites are Quicksilver (a launcher and multi-purpose tool) and OmniFocus (a todo programme).

I actually have a question too.

I am thinking of replacing my 6 year old tower. Right now it dual boots Fedora and WinXP. I use XP strictly for Lightroom and Photoshop only.

I want to get rid of the huge computer/monitor setup all together, so I'm looking at Macbooks.

I assume the current incarnation of the macbooks should be able to hanld Lightroom/Photoshop just fine? I'm leaning toward a Macbook pro, since I'd like the larger screen real estate. Any opinions?

I wouldn't be making a purchase until late fall at the earliest.

I assume the current incarnation of the macbooks should be able to hanld Lightroom/Photoshop just fine? I'm leaning toward a Macbook pro, since I'd like the larger screen real estate. Any opinions?

In regards to Photoshop, depends on your definition of 'fine'.

I've got 2 words for you: scratch disk.

With a laptop, you'll be using the O.S. drive as the scratch disk. It works, just not as good as having a separate scratch disk.

I currently am using my O.S. drive for the scratch disk, because I'm doing mostly web work, and rarely using 1GB photoshop files anymore. Of course, my O.S. drive is 2 raptors in raid 0 :)

Do you need a laptop?

I only ask since the base Macbook Pro is $1999 retail while 24" iMac with 3.06ghz C2D is $2199.

I don't need a laptop, as I already have my Lenovo, but I want to get rid of conventional desktop systems. Plus, I liek the idea of being able to bring my laptop with me (on a trip or something) to download and work with the photos on the fly.

That said, I am looking into an alternative program: LightZone. I'll see how it stacks up with lightroom, and if it is comparable, then I won't need a second laptop.

In regards to Photoshop, depends on your definition of 'fine'.

Fine to mee, is works better than my 2.6Ghz Athlon XP with 1GB ram. Lightroom is sometimes a bit painful to use, and I'm not even talking any major editing functions here, just basic usage.

I'd do separate monitor and macbook, for the same money. Slightly slower, get an external disk and a good big monitor keyboard and mouse. Much lower footprint than a desktop, but when you want it, still get nice big screen. Then when you go portable, it's lighter and better battery.

I'd do separate monitor and macbook, for the same money. Slightly slower, get an external disk and a good big monitor keyboard and mouse. Much lower footprint than a desktop, but when you want it, still get nice big screen. Then when you go portable, it's lighter and better battery.

I like that plan. I can use my samsung 19" with it. Will the regular macbook have the balls to run my apps?