Bass Impact Poll

GoRedwings19

What is your preference to bass impact?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference to bass impact?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put a balanced cable on that Qualia, and your worries about bass should be over. The one I like best is a Headphile BlackSilver, which I terminated myself for the Qualia. Very bright at the start, but calmed down nicely. I've been meaning to write Larry and tell him how I did the termination (a bit of trial and error (OK, errors :P) was involved), so he can offer the cable for sale.

PATB has plenty of balanced 010 cables now to waste the next few days with cable comparisons. :D

foo_me came to the meet so I was able to compare my cables to his Black Dragon. the Black Dragon was better than I thought, or perhaps my memory of that cable's sound was off, but it still seemed to color it too much and took away from the 010 sound (but nowhere near as much as the balanced cable I made from a hacked-up audio-technica IC), although I do like the Black Dragon coloration. but given that the balanced cables made with litz-braided wire were not cavernous sounding and didn't seem wrong sounding in the short listen, these are probably better cables to be using technically. I wonder how PATB thinks of all this, and if he's satisfied with the litz-braided cables for his SDS-XLR.

PATB has plenty of balanced 010 cables now to waste the next few days with cable comparisons. :D

foo_me came to the meet so I was able to compare my cables to his Black Dragon. the Black Dragon was better than I thought, or perhaps my memory of that cable's sound was off, but it still seemed to color it too much and took away from the 010 sound (but nowhere near as much as the balanced cable I made from a hacked-up audio-technica IC), although I do like the Black Dragon coloration. but given that the balanced cables made with litz-braided wire were not cavernous sounding and didn't seem wrong sounding in the short listen, these are probably better cables to be using technically. I wonder how PATB thinks of all this, and if he's satisfied with the litz-braided cables for his SDS-XLR.

Well, on the Dynamight, I though the black dragon dulls the Qualia sound while AYT's makes the Qualia too bright. On the SDS-XLR, AYT's balanced cables come to life. However, as much as I tried to like the balanced Qualia using different tube combos, I much prefer the balanced HD650. By a WIDE MARGIN. With the SDS-XLR, the HD650 has a much more involving sound to my ears -- big, full bodied sound without getting bloated. The SDS-XLR speeds up the HD650 and makes it a lot more dynamic than it has any righ to be be, with huge soundstage (especially with 6BL7GT output tubes) that places the concert in my listening room. The Qualia doesn't seem to change much with balanced amplification. But then again, I have cloth ears ;D

Naw, I agree. I've only heard them out of the Blingstro but man, the HD600 out of that thing just became a completely new headphone. I liked what it did for my Qualia 010, but it was just a nice sound while I found the results with the Sennheiser stunning. Doesn't surprise me it would be even more impactful with the SDS-XLR.

Best,

-Jason

Personally i like the bass presentation on the R10s as well. Although, I'm finding that the K1000 with the right amplification can provide all the bass quantity/quality/punchiness that I want.

Overall, I'd say that the best overall package for me is the R10 though. sigh...someday :-\

I'd have to say that bass impact for me really depends on the kind of music that I'm listening to. I love the PS-1's for rock - Zeppelin, ZZ Top, BTO, etc. On the other hand, I don't like the PS-1 at all for jazz. The R10's I used to own were AWESOME for jazz - perfect even. Rock music on the R10's didn't do anything for me at all. I still haven't found the headphone/amp/source combo that's great at every genre of music. Maybe that's part of the fun in this hobby.

This poll is defective from the get-go. I do have a preference, but it's not listed: DT770, which isn't as overblown as the PS-1, but it's stronger than anything Sennheiser or Grado can offer.

I like to be bludgeoned, but not ravaged.

Hi Dude,

I have never heard the phones you like so I didn;t know what category they would go into. Hope I did not offend.

So you still don't like the fuzzy? >:D

The 770s are between the L3000 and PS1 in bass.

Yeah, I really don't perceive the leatherhead and the PS1 in the same league at all -- the PS1 is in a class by itself, just like the DT770 used to be (until the PS1 came to be).

Hi Dude,

I have never heard the phones you like so I didn;t know what category they would go into. Hope I did not offend.

So you still don't like the fuzzy? >:D

No offense -- hope I didn't offend with my open criticisms, I can be rather blunt that way.

It is not whether it is to like or not to like, it is not to know.

I missed your PS-1s in Saratoga too! How are they going to be back in your house soon?

well, everyone missed them in Saratoga since I traded them a while back for some ATH-W's :P

anyways, they are going to be traded back to me in another trade, and I heard they've been shipped out already. lol.

Are you guys nuts? The r10? Bass? I have tries to love the r10's for years, but the only area where it falls down is the bass. It has almost no thud. I have heard it through systems optimized to get bass out of it and consistently walked away disappointed.

Four pages in and no mention of the Omega 2's in a bass thread?

I do like the PS-1's and the Leatherhead's for Bass, but the r-10. Hmmmmm?