Bass Impact Poll

GoRedwings19

What is your preference to bass impact?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What is your preference to bass impact?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the PS-1 bass impact is a little too much, and the HD650 a touch slow. My ideal bass would be the quantity of the HD650 and the speed of the Omega II. The Qualia 010 is pretty close to the type of bass I am looking for, but I just need a little more of it to be perfect for my taste.

I think the PS-1 bass impact is a little too much, and the HD650 a touch slow. My ideal bass would be the quantity of the HD650 and the speed of the Omega II. The Qualia 010 is pretty close to the type of bass I am looking for, but I just need a little more of it to be perfect for my taste.

Put a balanced cable on that Qualia, and your worries about bass should be over. The one I like best is a Headphile BlackSilver, which I terminated myself for the Qualia. Very bright at the start, but calmed down nicely. I've been meaning to write Larry and tell him how I did the termination (a bit of trial and error (OK, errors :P) was involved), so he can offer the cable for sale.

has the Qualia 010 become your defacto standard? it's really a shame that the line was discontinued right when it was finding its niche... thank you for the kind e-mail, btw; i've been meaning to respond, but i haven't gotten around to it quite yet.

You're welcome. No real need to reply to the email. I just wanted to offer encouragement, because I think you did exactly what you had to do.

My defacto standard is still the R10 out of single-ended SDS. I'm just an R10 kind of guy, I suppose, and I've tweaked the single-ended amp a lot. However, I've worked out a tweak package to bring SDS-XLR up to current spec, and should be receiving a balanced R10 any day now, so the picture could change radically. The ES1 is also a wild card in the equation, as the one time I heard that amp with HE90, it blew my socks off. That amp could be the one that finally opens the potential of electrostatic cans. I need to get my grubby hands on one, and do some extended listening to be sure (and I will).

Put a balanced cable on that Qualia, and your worries about bass should be over. The one I like best is a Headphile BlackSilver, which I terminated myself for the Qualia. Very bright at the start, but calmed down nicely. I've been meaning to write Larry and tell him how I did the termination (a bit of trial and error (OK, errors :P) was involved), so he can offer the cable for sale.

hey fellow SDS-XLR owners.

I got back my balanced 010 cables from immtbiker so if PATB wants to borrow them he's more than welcome to. just pick them up at the Saratoga meet tomorrow. ;) the black silver is a pure solid silver cable correct? it might be similar to the one I made from 24AWG solid silver wire in that case.

I got back my balanced 010 cables from immtbiker so if PATB wants to borrow them he's more than welcome to. just pick them up at the Saratoga meet tomorrow. ;) the black silver is a pure solid silver cable correct? it might be similar to the one I made from 24AWG solid silver wire in that case.

I will be working in the morning, then going to a party in the afternoon. Perhaps you can leave them with Leeav? YGPM.

hey fellow SDS-XLR owners.

Were you able to fit the 24AWG cable to the Lemo connectors used on the Qualia? The spec for the connector says that it can take a maximum of 28 AWG, which is what the Headphile cable is. If the connector can handle 24 AWG, I may give that a try.

Were you able to fit the 24AWG cable to the Lemo connectors used on the Qualia? The spec for the connector says that it can take a maximum of 28 AWG, which is what the Headphile cable is. If the connector can handle 24 AWG, I may give that a try.

it's a bit tricky since the connector is only made to accept 30 to 28 AWG, with the 24 AWG wire being roughly the same diameter as the whole pin, but with enough solder it sticks to it securely. the connector housing extends well beyond the pins, so along with some heatshrink for extra support my cable has been doing fine since I made it.

there goes my plan to lure you to the meet and see you in person. :P I'll try to leave them with Leeav. hope I don't forget.

I am going to try to attend the meet by working late tonight and begging the missus to let me hang around with other, much younger, music lovers tomorrow. However, no amount of money or persuasion will get me to bring the SDS-XLR to the meet. That thing is big, bulky, and heavy. I also doubt it will fit in the back of my 350Z.

I am going to try to attend the meet by working late tonight and begging the missus to let me hang around with other, much younger, music lovers tomorrow. However, no amount of money or persuasion will get me to bring the SDS-XLR to the meet. That thing is big, bulky, and heavy. I also doubt it will fit in the back of my 350Z.

well, I sure am not bringing my SDS-XLR after being conned into doing so for the SF meet. boy that was a huge mistake.

I think you'll like my balanced CMOY. you can fit it in a pocket. :)

Heh, I may take my SDS-XLR up to the NJ meet. I've just got to make sure the car's suspension can handle it :P

Oh man Hirsch, don't do it! My wallet couldn't take it. :D

Seriously, if I had one of those babies, I'd need to get a balanced RS-1, HD600 (or HD650) in addition to a balanced cable for my Qualia...

Best,

-Jason

Oh man Hirsch, don't do it! My wallet couldn't take it. :D

Seriously, if I had one of those babies, I'd need to get a balanced RS-1, HD600 (or HD650) in addition to a balanced cable for my Qualia...

Actually, I should have a balanced R10 very soon (as in perhaps tonight, if Mikhail got it done in time). That's the headphone I'm dying to hear. Mikhail is planning to fly in here, and drive up to NJ with me. Mikhail has the ES1 for Tom and if I bring the SDS-XLR/R10, that car is going to be loaded with goodies...

Actually, I should have a balanced R10 very soon (as in perhaps tonight, if Mikhail got it done in time). That's the headphone I'm dying to hear. Mikhail is planning to fly in here, and drive up to NJ with me. Mikhail has the ES1 for Tom and if I bring the SDS-XLR/R10, that car is going to be loaded with goodies...

Now I'm even more pissed that I got sick... >:(