TBAAM optical out on Linux ALSA??

btag

Anyone know if the TBAAM (Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro) optical out is bit perfect on Linux with ALSA?

Is ALSA/Linux a bit-perfect system to use? (like Kernel Streaming on Windows)

I know the TBAAM optical on Windows is resampled, but what about Linux?

I don't have to time to give you a detailed answer, but the short one is: it depends.

If your ALSA device makes use of dmix (software mixer) or if you're employing any kind of resampling/EQ then it's not bit perfect. If you playback using eg. the hw:0 ALSA device (or whatever your physical sound card is mapped to) then it will be bit perfect.

I don't remember if the TBAAM card resamples internally, but if it does it is probably tied to 48 KHz output, in which case the sound card itself will resample any 44.1 KHz audio sent from a bit perfect linux setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks darkless for the information.

It seems the TBAAM hardware wise outputs the SPDIF before too much processing. (According to Windows TBAAM is CMedia chipset) I found the datasheets here: http://www.cmedia.com.tw/?q=en/datasheets . So I guess with with ALSA linux direct output (not through mixer) I have a good chance at getting a bit perfect optical out.

Hopefully that's correct.

Ok time to finally get that DAC-AH ^_^