A couple of DIY questions

guzziguy

I have a couple of DIY questions:

• This one is pretty basic. I need an easy to use, lead-free solder. I'm guessing a lead-free eutectic solder is what I'm looking for. Is this correct and do you have any recommendations. Also, please recommend a source for it.
  • Not that I'll be needing this information in the near future, but I have a question about Magnequest. I see a lot of other brands talked about here and almost no mention of this one. Are Magnequest not great transformers? Or maybe there is some other problem with them or the company? Or lastly, maybe nobody here uses them due to habit? I'm just curious as I know that Bottlehead likes and uses them.

I have a couple of DIY questions:

• This one is pretty basic. I need an easy to use, lead-free solder. I'm guessing a lead-free eutectic solder is what I'm looking for. Is this correct and do you have any recommendations. Also, please recommend a source for it.
  • Not that I'll be needing this information in the near future, but I have a question about Magnequest. I see a lot of other brands talked about here and almost no mention of this one. Are Magnequest not great transformers? Or maybe there is some other problem with them or the company? Or lastly, maybe nobody here uses them due to habit? I'm just curious as I know that Bottlehead likes and uses them.

If you're not making commercial products to send to europe, and don't have kids in your work area, there's no reason to not use lead solder...

If you're not making commercial products to send to europe, and don't have kids in your work area, there's no reason to not use lead solder...

I have parrots in the house and they are really sensitive to lead poisoning, much more than humans. So I'd rather not have any lead fumes that I can avoid in the house.

I have parrots in the house and they are really sensitive to lead poisoning, much more than humans. So I'd rather not have any lead fumes that I can avoid in the house.

Solder outside in a well ventilated area? I intend to do all my work on the deck. Same reason the BBQ is out there, not inside.

I remember reading something about soldering irons not getting hot enough to vaporize lead. I mean obviously, or lots of solderers would be lead poisoned, but does soldering with leaded solder cause even some lead gases to get in the air?

... Same reason the BBQ is out there, not inside.

Completly off topic alert:

When I was young and irresponsible, a friend of mine and I tried to BBQ inside the appartament of my friends brother due to bad weather. Even with an electric grill and open doors this was a complete failure and we had to abort our mission.

• 10 months later...