What did you do today?

riceboy

How was the second half of the show, V? I'd like to shoot a handgun at a range sometime. And maybe a machine gun. :cool:

The second half was was as fun as the first and a bit more tiring since it was a day of looking around at the big guns, some as large as I am, and carrying around 12 .22 conversion kits and 12 mags for AR15s in an oversized purse. For the most part, I had no idea what I was looking at, but learned a lot while listening to the guys I was with, and who were actually purchasing these things. Also played around with some gorgeous knives, and should have bought one or two at dealer cost, but I'm not really into knives, and had already spent too much money. All I can say is that I'm glad I designated this year as the year of fiscal restraint. All that money saving allowed me to buy this:

0118091352.jpg

I really fell in love with it on the first day, went back and met the guy who customized it today, and now it's mine. It's a really special gun. Ted Yost is more of a 1911 guy, and says he only does one hi-power a year, and for the SHOT show. If anyone here is a fan of this browning, read the card to see the difference: the trigger reset is amazing, as is the thumb safety, plus the front checkering, plus gorgeous gold front sight, the beaver tail, etc. Other than that, I picked up some baer mags for cheap (pulled them out of the display case), got some nice custom grips for the baer, and some display ESS glasses for near pennies. It was a very good day.

Al, you'll like shooting. Target shooting is very meditative and relaxing, as well as challenging. It's great at the end of a stressful week. The tactical stuff is just plain fun.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Vicki, it looks like you had a great time. That Browning is nice, not that I know a much about them. When I was into shooting, I was told that the Browning is a pretty popular carry weapon by Israelis. I think you need to take me shooting one of these days. My wife is not happy that our son has shown and interest in guns. My neighbors dad passed away about a year ago and they just discovered he had quite a gun selection. I had to tell my son no to going to the range with them yesterday since I had no idea what the neighbor knows about gun handling and safety. I told him I would go with them next time, not that I know much but having been to ranges and to the tactical training I think I may have an idea. Plus you can give me a refresher course. :)

Mike, just pick a weekend. I'm not going to have the Browning for at least a couple weeks. It's going first to TN, and I'll either go there (more fun) or have it shipped here (less fun), but I have a couple other nice guns. You could come up here, or I'd love to try out a range near you. BTW, iems under muffs is the way to go for ear protection.

Oh, the cell phone pic doesn't do the gun justice. Google his name for better pics of his work.

I spent the day in Orlando at the SHOT show with Mexican Dragon's crazy friends from TN. I literally walked miles through every type of firearm and accessory, and haven't yet covered even half the show. I got fun swag, bought new grips for the les baer I just picked up today from Mexican Dragon, and fell in love with a Ted Yost customized Browning Hi-Power. The guys are on their way to a strip club. They offered to buy me a lap dance, but I think at this point in the evening, it's time for this old lady to curl up with a book and go to sleep. Going back tomorrow at 8:30. Yay!

Heh... my bad. I should have just overnighted it to you and let you spend the weekend reading a book.

Welcome to Gun-Case... sorry about your wallet.

;)

**BRENT**

Better than my earlier caution gave them credit for. Back of the notepad sums have the 717 at less than 1/10th of the optimal current reserve (between 15 and 50 times more needed I think) but a sufficiency in voltage. The bass goes a little bit deeper and overall is cleaner which is more noticeable. Theres less of the "dirtying" that transformers are want to cause in these sorts of applications. Microdynamics are slightly better, I think that a little of that kind of delicacy gets lost in the transformer. Larger transients, they're slightly worse, the transformer does kill some of that energy I think, but the 717 just doesn't have the power reserve for the big jumps. It's very clear just how much of a drain these are when you listen to the O2 and then connect the H2. The O2 just goes limp.

Ultimate volume level is more limited, but it should be enough I am sure for most people. Thats not to say that I've got the 717 maxxed out and its not very loud, its just that past a certain level distortion creaps in. With stock caution I'd say that anyone with a 717 could buy the H2 unit without need for the TR-2 transformer and hear what the headphones are about. They'd just need an adapter. Taking the headphones apart is not easily done and theres a lot more than just the film inside although I'll be buggered if I know what its all for.

H2-Open-1.jpg

I'm just glad I managed to recable them without wiring the bias up to the driver or poking the soldering iron through something fragile. The stock cable is a giant pile of garbage. Replacing the cable made for improvements in the "cleanliness" of the sound.

Edited by Duggeh

Could you post a high-res picture of the resistors and the cap and how it is all wired?

As for not wiring up the bias... that's what I'm here for. :D

How big would be big enough, the originals are Dr. Gilmore sized. 1280x960 do you?

no work today. so far i've spent a lot of time listening to music and metatagging the ungodly amount of untagged music I have. meanwhile I'm pretty darn close to finally burning and reripping the entire Neil Young "A Perfect Echo" unofficial 12 disc SBD compilation. good stuff.

The 717 pushes beyond that 250v spec as a matter of course? Or would that only be under the provision of a high level of power?

I am you must appriciate, splashing around in the shallows of incomprehension while you swim in the ocean of understanding.

The 717 is rated at 450v RMS which means it reaches 600v P-P easily but the final voltage the phones see is tied to the volume level. Now whether or not this is a problem depends on the cap and the circuit. The piece of tape hides part of the circuit though and I couldn't make out the colors on the small resistor which is above the tape.

To save bandwidth, why don't you just upload the pictures here? The site accepts 4kx4k pictures up to about 8mb.