What did you do today?

riceboy

I went to the bike shop and bought my first bike since elementary school. I'm pumped. I told my wife I'd be back with a bike, whether new or used.

I'd been shopping for a used one for a few weeks, but the price of the Dew ($450) was close enough to that of used ones I've been looking at ($200-$300 on craigslist and local shops) that I just went new. Besides, the shop was all out of used hybrids anyway. It was too hard trying to find a used one that I liked and was the proper frame size. I'm 6' 2" and the frame size of the Dew is 62cm.

I'll be using the bike for rec riding and exercise, and I hope I can stretch it to commuting to the company bus stop (about 6 miles from my house). I got fenders put on it and had the stock grips replaced with contoured grips.

Kona Dew

T2K9_DEW.jpg

Nice. 6 miles is a breeze. Just make sure you get a U and chain lock so that you can safely (as safe as it can get) lock your bike up while you're at work. Or can you bring the bike onto the bus?

Went on a 5 mile hike with my kids and our 4H club along the appalachian trail up near harrisburg. In the middle was the midpoint of the trail. Was a good time, if tiring. I had no warning, my wife woke me up at 8, and said I had 20 minutes to get ready and be out the door to get there.

I've been meaning to get my first hike in this year. Did a few last year, but haven't had time yet so far. =T

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. 6 miles is a breeze. Just make sure you get a U and chain lock so that you can safely (as safe as it can get) lock your bike up while you're at work. Or can you bring the bike onto the bus?

I did remember to get a U lock, and it feels like it weighs about half as much as the bike itself.

Six miles should be a breeze, but it's not yet :). I rode around the neighborhood yesterday night, and this morning, my legs and body are telling me that it's been 30 years since I've ridden a bike. Yeah, I'm pretty lame especially when a few posts up, grawk talks about doing a 5 mile hike.

Just work your way up slowly and in no time, 6 miles will be a breeze. I remember getting on a bike a number of years ago for the first time in many years and I was surprised by how hard it was. Within the year I was doing regular 20 to 30 mile rides on the weekend.

One trick I use for beach cruising bikes is to buy a small luggage lock, the TSA approved size for a suitcase and lock it through the links in your chain when you leave your bike. Most bike thieves usually look to disable the locking cables and u-locks never thinking to look for something disabling the chain. Nothing, not even u-locks, is foolproof but it is one additional layer of protection.

room 613. just go up to the desk on the left, over by the windows.

"Umm, so where's the shovel?"

"Shovel?'

"Yes, for the .. you know ... cranial interface?"

"Oh! Oh, sorry, this is Defenestration! You want Decapitation -- that's right across the hall."

"Terribly sorry to have bothered you."

"Don't mention it. And you'll like Mr. Chesser, briefly. He does excellent work."

Finally got out today after being really sick with the flu for the past week. Someone at CanJam must have passed it off to me. :(

I am sure you caught it from one of those raffle prizes you were foolishly handing out. Now if you had consumed more whiskey you would be fine. Note none of the resident boozers has came down with anything let alone swine flu.

There is a lesson here Luis......;)

Finally got out today after being really sick with the flu for the past week. Someone at CanJam must have passed it off to me. :(

Sorry to hear you and Stretch aren't feeling well. Glad to hear you are making a recovery and I hope Stretch feels better soon.

Right now just chilling on the deck, relaxing and having a cold one.

Cursed my luck. We are supposed to leave for Disney World in two days and both kids are good and sick. It never fucking fails! Daughter is puking and son is coughing up a lung. What a fun week in prospect. :palm:

Sorry to hear that. I hope they get better before you leave.

Yah, sorry, Stretch. I've been on those family vacations before. Not fun, but one good thing about kids is that they seem to get over things fairly quickly. What may be hacking and puking today, may not even be remembered (by them anyway) tomorrow.

Cursed my luck. We are supposed to leave for Disney World in two days and both kids are good and sick. It never fucking fails! Daughter is puking and son is coughing up a lung. What a fun week in prospect. :palm:

Silver lining here. Better that they get it out of their systems now than come down with it on the plane.

My wife and son are going out to California next week with my mother-in-law and sis-in-law to see the 149 year old grandmother. About 10 minutes before I saw your post, stretch, I told my wife that she should be prepared for a stomach virus to hit 12-24 hours before wheels up.