What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fractured fibula which didn't show on the X-Rays but did on the MRI? Amazing... Anyway, great news, a bone fracture, or more likely a fissure if you don't need a cast, will solve more easily than any cartilage or ligaments damage. Congratulations ;D Take care of yourself.

this is why i was wondering why bother with the x-rays, skip straight to the MRI?

You can't see very well the mineral bone on MRI scans, just the live cells, fat, water..., so to see bone fractures, X-Rays (that includes CT) are a better option. However a single projection X-Ray can miss very thin fissures, which is Al's case. They were able to see it because it's on the fibula head, which is rich in bone marrow.

You can't see very well the mineral bone on MRI scans, just the live cells, fat, water..., so to see bone fractures, X-Rays (that includes CT) are a better option. However a single projection X-Ray can miss very thin fissures, which is Al's case. They were able to see it because it's on the fibula head, which is rich in bone marrow.

Isn't getting X-rays also cheaper as a first line for diagnosis?

Yep, I saw them side by side myself and you can see things on the MRI that your really cannot see on the x-ray. The x-ray was the next morning and the MRI was three days later, so the MRI shows the indication of the fracture as a small line either white when it should be dark or vice-versa.

Anyway, the doc looked me over and scrutinized the scans and confirmed a fractured fibular head. No ligament damage, no surgery, no cast, and no physical therapy other than eventual stretching and such. Pretty relieved but I have 6-8 weeks of little to no exercise. Wait, now I have an excuse to do what I already do! :prettyprincess:

Great news, x2 on the congratulatory it's not a torn ACL (or MCL groan) :)

Isn't getting X-rays also cheaper as a first line for diagnosis?

Everyone gets x-ray'ed anyway because it's cheap and legal reasons.

Edited by deepak

Worked, bought Asia ex-Japan, returned a pair of Meridian 5500s then listened to Kind of Blue then some Blue Note Music Matters vinyl on a Clear Audio Statement, EAR monoblock Magico M5 system. Bought 19 of said Blue Note Music Matters vinyl and a case of cheap Bordeaux. All in all a good day so far.