What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after breakfast and workout, painted a bit of the living room. weathered a stupendous downpour (el nino again!) with doors open so the paint fumes could clear. blasted some bach organ pieces for that. a short burst of gaming (GRAW), then started marinating the pork for dinner. went for thai lunch, yum. couple more hours of work (yeah, I know, defiling MLK day but it has to be done). spun a few more CDs (from the "111 years of deutsche grammophon" box collection of 55 discs) while browsing the web a bit, now back to work.

Hmm, nobody I know says that. Of course, I don't know many people here who were actually raised in Texas.

Believe it or not the short 4 hour drive to Houston is like visiting another world.

While the town I live in is fairly affluent, the neighboring towns that service this community are near third world. The only place I've met more Bubbas was East Texas.

Got up and did 1:20 on the bike with 45min at 95+ rpm at the pedal and HR just below LT. Damn that's one way to kickstart your body in the morning. I then went to McD's for breakfast and ate slightly fewer calories than I burned :palm:

Then I went to work :( Looks like another (relatively) nice day for a ride :palm:

Believe it or not the short 4 hour drive to Houston is like visiting another world.

While the town I live in is fairly affluent, the neighboring towns that service this community are near third world. The only place I've met more Bubbas was East Texas.

Note to self: I must remember to put up the shotgun rack on the Accord before visiting Steve. :P

Spent the day at the Mathematical Sciences Research Institute at the top of the hill at UC Berkeley - that was great! Then I decided to walk down the hill to get a good coffee (and was sure I could "beat the rain"). However, half way down, I was caught in a nice big hail/rainstorm and spent 45 minutes at the Botanical Gardens gift store waiting out the storm. I did finally get a coffee and a lovely rainbow to go along with it though. Overall, a pretty good day.

Hmm, I think that might be a slam. ;)

Just a good natured ribbing. I'm in biomedical research, and rather dislike talking about my work at most social occasions. People's eyes just glaze over. I can only imagine it is much, much worse for mathematics research...... :)

My solution is to tell people that I work in some office job... it takes 1 min to lie vs 25min to tell the truth.

My drinking time is too precious =P

That's the spirit!

Eek, wtf is with you island folks lately? Glad to hear that you're ok, was it off the coast a bit?

Yup, it was 52 miles off of the East End of Grand Cayman (which is about 70 miles from where I live) and located 6.2 miles down.

What I'm learning now is that a 5.8 earthquake is nothing to laugh about! The Haiti earthquake was a 7.0 and located 6.0 miles underground. But it was centered just 10 miles from Port au Prince.

All of this leads me to believe that we were extremely lucky! Had this quake come a little closer it could have caused some serious damage.

About the only damage in Cayman that I've heard of was a 28' diameter sinkhole that occurred at an apartment complex on the seashore (see pic). SinkHole Caused By Earthquake In Cayman Is. - CNN iReport