What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A 5.8 will have you looking for something to hide under if it rolls for any length of time.

Just try to imagine what a 9.2 would be like. That was the magnitude of the '64 quake in Alaska. The second highest magnitude ever recorded, and the highest in North America. It's very strange to watch ground liquefy, but that's exactly what happened in many areas around Anchorage.

a 5.8 is nothing to sneeze at, but a 7.0 is over an order or magnitude more powerful.

That's true, because it's a logarithmic scale, is it not?

A 5.8 will have you looking for something to hide under if it rolls for any length of time.

Just try to imagine what a 9.2 would be like. That was the magnitude of the '64 quake in Alaska. The second highest magnitude ever recorded, and the highest in North America. It's very strange to watch ground liquefy, but that's exactly what happened in many areas around Anchorage.

That is just beyond my imagination or comprehension.

I made a funny post at Head-Fi today. It was a combination of funny 'ha ha' and funny 'ain't that strange', but it didn't have anything to do with funny 'gender confused'.

It was in the HD800 for Ti thread in response to someone grumbling about the fact that they don't have 140 contributors yet and thus cannot afford the HD800 at this point: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6331665-post204.html

Ok, so it wasn't that funny. But at least I made myself snicker.

before everyone gets carried away with the count down to 2012 (and yes, southern california had a tornado warning yesterday, where they asked everyone to stay indoors), I was able to listen to a few new CDs, order up some more, work the required amount, and mix myself a few drinks too. life still going on!

Today is the fourth, and worst day of six consecutive days of rain. Today a thunder storm cell came right over our house. We suddenly had huge winds and a huge deluge of water. Then it started hailing. I don't remember every seeing hail before here in Santa Barbara. :confused:

Anyway, I'm staying in today to keep a watch over the house. So far there are no leaks. I've had to clear the French drains a couple of times. I can't wait for Saturday but we sure need the rain.

I made a funny post at Head-Fi today. It was a combination of funny 'ha ha' and funny 'ain't that strange', but it didn't have anything to do with funny 'gender confused'.

It was in the HD800 for Ti thread in response to someone grumbling about the fact that they don't have 140 contributors yet and thus cannot afford the HD800 at this point: Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio - View Single Post - Let's get Ti Kan (AMB) an HD800!

Ok, so it wasn't that funny. But at least I made myself snicker.

It made me laugh out loud, good one.

Are we talking about condoms? ;)
I suspect he's talking about full-body costumes. Whatever you do, don't do an image-google of "latex" with safe-search "off" while at work.

Me: stayed up way too late; forgot to take my meds; overslept; woke up ultra-congested; dosed, irrigated, purged, and steam-cleaned sinuses (that last is not of the pressure-cleaning variety, more like "steeped" my sinuses with steam). Am now ready to start my day, more or less. :palm:

Went to pick up a Rega RB300 tonearm that just needs to be wired to finish my analog setup. I get lost twice in his neighborhood and finally find the place. He guides me through his house past a room full of vinyl, another small area full of different speakers, and finally into his listening room with a crazy amount of expensive gear. I get excited as my eyes dart all over the place to see what everything is. He then tells me he's a dealer, which is why he has so much gear, and moved his business into his home after having it on Ventura Blvd. for some years. One of the major lines he sells is Dali, and he's got like 4 different pairs of their speakers in the room including the top of the line model which costs something like 50k. I can't even remember all the stuff he had, but he also had the top of the line Manley monoblocks and some 20k+ turntable with a Koetsu Onyx cart (he also sells Koetsu). He has the Dali Helicon 800 mk2 (I think) setup in the middle of the room. We're sitting on his floor just talking audio for a while and I look over his shoulder (I'm still trying to see what other gear is in the room) and notice he has a Michell Gyro SE setup against the wall. Our ensuing convo went something like this:

Me: Oh hey, I have that turntable...is that the Gyro SE?

Him: Ya that's the Gyro, great table. What made you decide to get it?

Me: Some guy I know was recommending me some tables and that was one of his highly recommended tables.

-Some other convo takes place about the different amps and speakers in the room--

Me: So what speaker brands do you sell besides Dali?

Him: Well I mostly sell Dali, but I also sell <insert speaker maker>...<insert speaker maker>...Donald North Audio

Me: Ha! That's the guy who recommended me the Michell!

Likely a boring read, but when he mentioned Donald it caught me completely off gaurd. I guess they talk to each other a good amount and even worked together in the past. Pretty cool :) He also mentioned going to canjam 09 and his face kinda lit up when I told him I use the Quad 57 and Stax O2s.

Very brief speaker impressions: Really nice sounding! His room was built for listening and he also has a good amount of treatments. The imaging was pretty spectacular in particular. Coherence through frequency range was also very good, which I wasn't expecting at all. WAY better than the Von Schweikert VR-4 setup I listened to a couple weeks ago.