What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

espresso2.jpg
Pretty!

Replaced some of the seals/o-rings/etc. with Dad.
Got a mental image there. Hoping it's wrong.

No pressurestat/thermostat means this thing generates some nasty pressure if you aren't careful. As in, a two foot jet of steam shooting out horizontally.
Wow, that's old-school. Having fun with it and getting good results?

Crashed the web server yesterday uploading several webinar videos that I edited w/ Premiere. I exported to movies rather than 'share' as WMV, so the files were huge. Why they have different export filetypes in 2 completely different toolbar dropdown panels is beyond me.

I just now finished reading the hellstorm of emails about the issue.

That was fun.

I've never used a 'proper' lever machine but I used to make my home shots with a Presso, a different sort of manual-pressure machine. The extra degree of feedback and control it gives you is really interesting. One of my favorite blends had a particularly arm-wrestling-like profile: it would fight back really hard until a certain point, then go from there to okay-okay-you-win really really fast. With a pump machine you can watch flow rate over time but you don't get anything like the same feel for what the coffee is doing from moment to moment.

I've never used a 'proper' lever machine but I used to make my home shots with a Presso, a different sort of manual-pressure machine. The extra degree of feedback and control it gives you is really interesting. One of my favorite blends had a particularly arm-wrestling-like profile: it would fight back really hard until a certain point, then go from there to okay-okay-you-win really really fast. With a pump machine you can watch flow rate over time but you don't get anything like the same feel for what the coffee is doing from moment to moment.

I'm fairly new to lever machines, but yes, there definitely is some room for adjustment with varying the pre-infusion time and the applied pressure of the actual pull. Beyond that, you can get into the really over-the-top accessories, like naked/chopped portafilters and convex tampers. Personally, I'd rather have a better grinder.