What did you do today?

riceboy

Watched MSU/Tennessee game. I'm of the opinion this may be the best NCAA Division I basketball tournament evar unless it's your team that lost. So many close games and "upsets". Good for college basketball. Missed the second game.

My oldest daughter and her family arrived for family night. This is where we have a meal, play wii and watch a movie. My job is to entertain the grand kids, all under age 6. Entire family was grouchy when they arrived. At least they were reasonably even keeled when they left.

Now? Peace and quiet is restored.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's almost laughable how much more you have to push compared to the "fast" group rides around here.

My brother is an expert class amature mountain bike racer. He's in incredible shape.

In a race last year his time for four laps of the 5 mile course,

was about the same as the time the pros did SIX LAPS!!!

Unbelievable.

My brother is an expert class amature mountain bike racer. He's in incredible shape.

In a race last year his time for four laps of the 5 mile course,

was about the same as the time the pros did SIX LAPS!!!

Unbelievable.

Yeah but I'm just racing cat 5 (absolute beginner) so it's a bit eye opening. In road racing they let the Cat1 (expert equivalents) race with the pros all the time. A lot of races are pro/1/2. That said I don't know of any of the big ProTour level races that allow that.

Cheers,

Chris

A big part of road racing comes down to tactics and drafting, you want to be in the front third of the group so you don't get see-sawed and gapped out of the draft every time the peloton slows for a corner. When you're closer to the back there's a hell of a lot more speed variation as the group bunches up and spreads out, and you'll waste a lot more energy slowing down then accelerating hard to get back into the draft. If you're at the back it's only a matter of time before you get popped off and when that happens you're screwed until you can get a few other riders together and form a paceline.

Try to stay with the leaders as long as you can, when you can't do it anymore drop off and latch onto the chase group(s), and when that fails drop back to the main group. Never ride alone if you can help it, for instance if you're in between the lead & chase group, don't blow yourself out trying to maintain position or jump to the lead group, ease up and recover a bit, then join the chase group and let them pull you back up front.

Had surgery today to remove a small piece of torn meniscus. All went well (according to the Doc) and my ACL was found to still be intact so no further surgery will be required. I feel like I've been roofied but otherwise pretty decent and recovery is supposed to be pretty quick.

I see a lot more biking and less running in my future.

Had surgery today to remove a small piece of torn meniscus. All went well (according to the Doc) and my ACL was found to still be intact so no further surgery will be required. I feel like I've been roofied but otherwise pretty decent and recovery is supposed to be pretty quick.

I see a lot more biking and less running in my future.

Go easy on the recovery, and do whatever god awful exercises the physio tells you. I had a knee op three years ago, and it was scary how the leg that was op'd on lost muscle tone in spite of lots of single leg strengthening. I've got back to running, but it has been a long journey.

Folks I know who have had knee ops (and there are quite a few) either had to stop running and take up biking or swimming, or got away with it and still run. Do whatever works and have a really speedy recovery.