What did you do today?

riceboy

Went to my first kendo class. I need to buy a shinai and practice on my own now. Preferably not in my house as I'd probably end up destroying everything, including the shinai.

Congrats Nate! Biking is good.

Be careful of low ceilings, I learned that the hard way. It has been a few years since my lessons but I loved every minute of it, especially the part where you scream as you strike the dummies. Perhaps you can bring yours to CanJam and we can spar a little.......on iPod*kendodummie*bj?

Speedy recovery Nate, biking is the ideal therapy. I've had ACL reconstruction with screws and all, the biking is the best medicine.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the Quad's (12L active) today from Lanemart. Set them up. They look and sound great. However, I can hear quite a bit of hiss with no music playing. Perhaps this is because I am too close to them (an arms length away).

Is this normal? There is more hiss on one of them than the other (the woofer hisses and hums on one and I basically only get hum on the other woofer - both tweeters hiss).

dsc0010z.jpg

They hiss even without a source. Doing some more experiments, it seems that the hiss on the woofer of the "right" one is the noise that is bothering me. It is much louder than the noise on the "left" one. :( Do you think I should contact the seller? I feel that they would be fine if I were 5-10 feet away but that the hiss bothers me at the desk.

Edited by shellylh

Shelly, how high do you have the internal amp set? I run mine way down, like probably around 30 to 50% of max. If you're running them at max I wouldn't be at all surprised if you have noise nearfield. If I remember right there is a detent at 50% that will allow you to easily match the volume between the two at that level, you might try that if you're currently running them wide open.

Flew to Boston, got to the airport fairly early and the flight before mine was a bit delayed, so they let me on that one instead getting me in about an hour and a half early. Great seat too, though the weather was a bit too rough so they didn't run the snacks. Still fairly quick flight, and I had the thunderpants to keep me busy (which, btw, get some odd looks out in public).

Shelly, have you played with the placement of the speakers in relation to the 'puters? Also, what are you using for interconnects? I'm finding that my A2s pick up all kinds of crap in my office. Also, I had some nasty hum they other day in the Luxman that was due to a pair of noisy balanced cables.

EDIT: Your desk rig looks kickass, btw.

Shelly, have you played with the placement of the speakers in relation to the 'puters? Also, what are you using for interconnects? I'm finding that my A2s pick up all kinds of crap in my office. Also, I had some nasty hum they other day in the Luxman that was due to a pair of noisy balanced cables.

IIRC, the 12L actives are shielded, which should minimize that type of noise, right?

Be careful of low ceilings, I learned that the hard way. It has been a few years since my lessons but I loved every minute of it, especially the part where you scream as you strike the dummies. Perhaps you can bring yours to CanJam and we can spar a little.......on iPod*kendodummie*bj?

Hehe, I can see how that would be a problem from lifting the shinai up above the head. Yeah, kiai is totally badass when done right. I need to learn how to do it properly (as well as everything else). Sounds good, and maybe Reks and Jin will join us. :) HC Kendo Club ftw.

there is a kendo club that meets down the street from me. i've been thinking about attending.

Dew eet! Your skill with the shovel can only increase. I actually find it similar to playing an instrument, with the extreme concentration, form/technique, and just plain practicing with a mirror a lot, needed to learn quickly.

Still fairly quick flight, and I had the thunderpants to keep me busy (which, btw, get some odd looks out in public).

Funny stuff.;D Someone should ask you what model it is in hopes to get one for him/herself.

Thanks.

I cannot move the speakers much but I do think the 12L's are shielded. The big problem is that I am getting noise (much more out of one that the other) no matter where I plug them in the house (away from computers, etc.), with no source, and with no volume. I can live with the slight hum I hear from the "left" speaker but the "hiss" that I get from the right speaker is driving my nuts. I have contacted Lane so we'll see what he says. :(

Thanks for all the help.

Nate: The volume doesn't effect the noise. I can hear the noise with the volume at minimum (all the way down).

When I did play music through them, I didn't listen over 25% (9 o'clock on the dial).

Ok, so it sounds like this is an issue different from what I experienced. Since they are hissing even without a source attached that pretty much just leaves the speakers themselves or environmental interference. If it's at all possible I'd try setting them up in a different location, if you're curious.

I also had to use an isolated power supply in my setup to avoid hum, but that doesn't seem to be the pervasive issue for you right now. I'm hopeful that Laine will take care of you, given the amount of business that's been thrown his way lately by this site.

Nate: Glad to hear your knees are reasonably ok.

Today I had a 15-drawer cabinet arrive and immediately filled it with all the random paperwork and crap hanging around my desk. There is still a lot of crap around, including boxes full of stuff, so this doesn't bode well.

Yes, for the most part. Except that the reason I was contacting Crumpler in the first place was for possible repair/replacement as I noticed couple of spots where stitching was coming undone (which I had attributed it being a rare occasion in which it went past their QC). I figured I'd just contact Crumpler USA since they're a lot closer than the seller/counterfeiters.

Crumpler even told me that it is "one of the more clever knock offs" they've encountered (they bought one from the counterfeiter and got one today).

Serves me right for buying one on eBay and neglecting to check if the seller is an authorized dealer. :palm:

Edited by Salt Peanuts

I cancelled my order since I had the A5's coming already and needed to cut back on the audio spending. If they are counterfeit, there will be more than just a bunch of angry HC's, he's sold them on A'gon for a long time. I would say they are more likely gray market, if anything.