What did you do today?

riceboy

- We're still in Aruba, went to a great restaurant called El-Guacho's tonight. Red and the other white meat aplenty, and also red wine Sangria (not so much, but major yummage)....I got verklempt, it was like buttah I tell you......

I haven't heard about Aruba for ages - my Dad (long dead) was in the merchant navy, oil tankers, in the early to mid 50's, and used to call at the oil terminals at Aruba, and nearby Punta Cardon in Venezuela. In the UK there is a lot of news coverage of binge drinking, where young people go out and get hammered at the weekend; nothing new of course - my Dad used to talk of drinking sessions of truly heroic proportions in both Aruba and Punta Cardon.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday I installed my new Quarq power meter on my bike. I actually installed the sensors on 2 of the 3 bikes so I can switch it around at will. I tried to install it on my Time Trial bike to discover that my damn TT bike has a incompatible bottom bracket, I now have to order a bunch of shit to convert it and a whole new crankset of the bike for when the power meter isn't on it. Hey what's another couple hundred bucks.... :palm: :palm:

Vicki: Good luck with the wind insurance. Those numbers are aweful high but you do live in coastal Florida. My insurance is around 1/10th that up here in VA.

Yesterday I installed my new Quarq power meter on my bike. I actually installed the sensors on 2 of the 3 bikes so I can switch it around at will. I tried to install it on my Time Trial bike to discover that my damn TT bike has a incompatible bottom bracket, I now have to order a bunch of shit to convert it and a whole new crankset of the bike for when the power meter isn't on it. Hey what's another couple hundred bucks.... :palm: :palm:
Or you could just, ya know, ride the fracking bike.

Me: yesterday was spent mostly dealing with incompetent contractors who decided that they would "engineer" solutions to problems in the field and then tell me about it after the fact. I suspect that unfortunately today will be a SSDD situation.

Or you could just, ya know, ride the fracking bike.

While you have a point, I do a lot of that too (did 30km yesterday, will do 40-50km today and tomorrow and 100km on Sunday). When you blow $2000+ on power meters you rather have them work on all your bikes. I've got a stage race in 2 weeks and it has a TT and a road race and I want to be able to get the numbers on both.

I spent the whole day finishing up my final, last paper at the University of Chicago. And having turned in my thesis a week ago, that makes me done with M.A. It has been a taxing year, in terms of intellectual stimulation, but it was all worth it. Now I'm just feeling dazed and not sure what to do with myself.

Big congrats to you!

At the doctor's office with my wife, she messed her left ankle and a couple of toes and is in major pain. It is not good for "she who must be obeyed" to be in pain ... all around her would be in pain as well! :eek:

Ooof! Hope she feels better soon.

Odd that I'm much better at dealing with physical pain that my wife, but she's much much better at illness. I'm a real snivelling wimp even if I get a head cold or anything similar. Mrs S just keeps sailing straight ahead and gets on with life regardless of what bug she has.

Thanks guys, the good news is that nothing is broken! However she was given a cortisone shot due to an inflamed tendon. She is not supposed to walk for a week, so the cooking is left up to me. Fudge, we will be eating out of cans and lots of takeout. I used to love cooking but if I do so I can't be here posting/reading. ;)

Got the Headamp KGSS in the mail from Stretch!

Since this is my first electostrostatic headphone amp, I need to ask some stupid questions. Should I do or not do anything (I know not to pour water on the amp or headphones)? For example,

1. Should I start up/turn off the amp with a load (headphones plugged in) or not or does it not matter?

2. How long should the amp be on with out a load?

3. I assume I should turn down the volume when switching headphones (although since I have one pair I don't have a problem).

4. I assume it is biased at 580V and I don't need to open it up to change anything.

5. Do I need to keep stat headphones under a dust cover?

Anything else? Thanks in advance for answering my newbie questions.

Load isn't an issue here and the amp will run just fine without one. No need to turn down the volume when switching headphones but some are less/more sensitive then others so beware of that.

The bias is 580V and no need to alter anything here. It will drive any of the high bias headphones just fine like that. The modern Stax headphones do not need the dustcover but something like the Sennheiser HE60 needs one.

If you have any specific questions then just PM me ohh and welcome to the mafia. :D

Congrat to Michael for finishing the M.A.! Take it easy, there's plenty of time to figure out what to do with yourself. :D

Thanks Al (and also Vicky too). I've got a job with the Department of Justice in July in their San Fran office. So I might make a Bay Area meet in the future :)

Not just today, but been talking to my car insurance company for more than I'd like care to for the past week. Long story short, the insurance company is trying to BS me while my mechanic is trying to call them on their BS.

Push hard, Haj.

Who is the insurer? Just curious because most of them that I've dealt with have been pretty ok when dealing with accidents where I was not at fault.

Push hard, Haj.

Who is the insurer? Just curious because most of them that I've dealt with have been pretty ok when dealing with accidents where I was not at fault.

It's Arbella. Unfortunately (or fortunately), it wasn't an accident, but fire damage. Basically, I hadn't driven my car for about a week and during that period, some small animal(s) had made nests in the nooks and crannies under the hood. When I did finally drive it late last week, those nests under the hood caught on fire, causing the fire damage (nests were discovered after the fact, obviously, in smoking and smoldering state). Now the claims agent/appraiser is trying to claim the fire was caused by mechanical failure (which would mean that they don't have to pay me anything). My mechanic is trying to call them on it since the failure agent/appraiser is trying to push through, even if it were the case, wouldn't have caused the fire.

Load isn't an issue here and the amp will run just fine without one. No need to turn down the volume when switching headphones but some are less/more sensitive then others so beware of that.

The bias is 580V and no need to alter anything here. It will drive any of the high bias headphones just fine like that. The modern Stax headphones do not need the dustcover but something like the Sennheiser HE60 needs one.

If you have any specific questions then just PM me ohh and welcome to the mafia. :D

Thanks Birgir! ;)

By the way, why do the old need the dustcover but not the new? Just curious.

Edited by shellylh

Went to Lunch at the Big Apple Barbecue Block Party. Excellent way to spend an afternoon, fantastic food, fantastic Texas music and FANTASTIC women everywhere. My kind of lunch.

BBQ21.jpg

BBQ8.jpg

BBQ5.jpg

Carolyn Wonderland

BBQ16.jpg

BBQ17.jpg

BBQ15.jpg

And of course pictures of some food for Brent.

BBQ2.jpg

BBQ.jpg

The cheapest lens around, the Plastic Fantastic 50mm f1.8 of course.

Nice. Probably the best price/performance deal in the entire Canon lineup. I own the original Mk I version which has a metal lens mount and distance window (because I am a nerd). Optically, it's identical to the Mk II. I get a way better hit rate of usable shots out of the 35mm F/2 (wish my copy wasn't broken :-\) but more great shots out of the 50mm.