What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

negotiated a date with a woman way out of my league.

You never know, Reks. I felt when I asked her out, and still feel, that my wife is way out of my league. Turns out she was looking for some other deeper qualities in a guy. Women can be funny that way. You just never know. :)

took my time getting ready and met a friend for a nice lunch ... So much for bothering with lipstick :palm:

Thanks for making my day, Vicki! I just love dating and relationship stories. I hope my favorite story gives you a good laugh. A couple of months into dating Anne (my GF at the time, now my wife), we were getting pretty serious, and she decided to invite me up to her small town in Wisconsin to meet her whole family. Small town Wisconsin folk are pretty serious about going to church, and I hadn't set foot in a church but once in my entire life, despite being baptized Catholic as a baby. I was intent on making a great impression. I made it through most of the service just fine, and we got to the point where we give each other 'the sign of peace'. Everyone stood up, shook hands, hugged and said,'peace be with you.' I gave Anne a hug on my left, then turned to my right, where her favorite Grandmother was standing next to me, then extended my hand to shake hers; but instead, she spread her arms apart and leaned into me to give me a great big Grandma hug ... and ...

... yes, I felt up Grandma in church.

Well, I was mortified! I really liked Anne A LOT, and figured I'd just blown it ... you don't feel up Grandma in church ... probably a break-up-able offense. I'd get kicked out of the family the first weekend I met them! I went into full defense mode. Figuring I ought to tell Anne myself, before Grandma got to her, I took her aside right after church and told her what happened, then waited for the worst.

Anne starting cracking up like crazy. 'What's so funny?', I asked, 'won't she be really mad?!' Laughing even harder, she said, 'nah, that's the most action she's gotten in years! She probably loved it!'

That story has become part of the family lore. And I have always been one of Grandma J's favorites. And Anne still married me.

So again, I say, you just never know! :D

You never know, Reks. I felt when I asked her out, and still feel, that my wife is way out of my league. Turns out she was looking for some other deeper qualities in a guy. Women can be funny that way. You just never know. :)

hrumph, it's this a little presumptuous?? Perhaps this "league" Rek's is referring to is the doctorate holding, Mensa card carrying, Future Knife Sharpeners of America?

I thought Reks asked out a woman from another bowling league. I stand corrected.

As for me, I spent my Labor Day at home never actually getting more than a few feet out the garage door or into the back yard. I cleared, boxed and/or discarded the detritus in and around my work bench in the garage. The amount household crap and hardware that has built up over nearly 50 years of my grandfather's and then my life in this house, and I have been in the mood to purge the junk away as we get ready for our bathroom and garage remodel. I saved the interesting and truly antique stuff, but the drapery hooks, random electrical bits, partial hardware from kitchens and baths gone by, etc., all had to go. I feel cleansed, although I was actually caked with grime and dust.

I also managed to fuck up my already damaged wrist. I had bone graft surgery on my right wrist while in law school 20 years ago, and it has never been quite right or returned to full functionality. In my fervor to resolve things on the work bench, I decided to install a new lock for our side garage door that had been sitting on the bench for a couple months. I wish Nate had been around because my circle hole cutting has me in need of a doctor's visit. In the process of cutting a hole in the door with a hole saw on my drill, it locked in place and the torque of the drill twisted my arm over pretty violently until the drill hit the door jamb and I released the trigger. It is swollen and hurts like a motherfucker. I've been curious recently if medical science may have developed a better solution for me in the last 20 years so I may figure that out soon...

I also managed to fuck up my already damaged wrist. I had bone graft surgery on my right wrist while in law school 20 years ago, and it has never been quite right or returned to full functionality. In my fervor to resolve things on the work bench, I decided to install a new lock for our side garage door that had been sitting on the bench for a couple months. I wish Nate had been around because my circle hole cutting has me in need of a doctor's visit. In the process of cutting a hole in the door with a hole saw on my drill, it locked in place and the torque of the drill twisted my arm over pretty violently until the drill hit the door jamb and I released the trigger. It is swollen and hurts like a motherfucker. I've been curious recently if medical science may have developed a better solution for me in the last 20 years so I may figure that out soon...

Fuck man, that sucks. I know very well how hard drills can kick when they bind up, but I can only imagine how bad it must be on an already damaged wrist... hopefully the doc will be able to make it even better than it was before.