What did you do today?

riceboy

Spent most of the day with Colin -- that was nice.

Discovered that the Oppo BDP-83(SE) can host an iPod. Good, yes? No -- it does it straight from the disk, so all you see are a bunch of 4 (?) letter hashes for the file names and directories.

Def going to get a 2TB external, though, there's no excuse it can't do that.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought two 9 volt batteries at a grocery store here in Tampa today and then proceeded to tell the cute little cashier girl that I needed one of the batteries for my nose so that it would light up like Rudolph's nose! I told her that when my nose turns red it puts me in the Christmas spirit.

Then I went back to my motorhome, put on my new Rudolph mascot costume, and returned to the grocery store an hour later to see if I could impress her. Only problem was that the trigger switch for the nose light fell off of the long wire that you have to fish down from the mascot head to your hand. This happened after I had driven to the grocery store and was putting my mascot head back on in the parking lot.

One of the guys at the pizza place next door was taking a cigarette break, so I asked him for help. He found a pair of needle nose pliers in his truck and was able to rig my trigger switch back up. But then after he drove off to make another delivery, the switch fell off the wires again, so I had to walk into the grocery store without the ability to make my nose turn red.

She still seems impressed though, so that part was good.

You ladykiller you.

Drove back south along the coast, after enjoying a relaxing thanksgiving with our hosts. We were sent on our way with left over Turkey, Sweet Potatatoes, Pumpkin Pie and Apple and Cranberry Pie.

Stopped at Wild Flour to share a Mocha Hazelnut Scone to go with our Tea and Coffee. Stocked up on vittles at Costco then back home in time to feast on the left-overs.

No cooking required. :)

Pics, please. Both of you as Rudolph, and of the cute cashier. ;)

Didn't think about that. Would have to go back, but I think that might officially qualify as stalking. I don't mind unofficial stalking so much. Hmm, maybe if I can manage to fix the trigger switch for the red nose. That would be a good enough excuse.

Spent most of the day with Colin -- that was nice.

Discovered that the Oppo BDP-83(SE) can host an iPod. Good, yes? No -- it does it straight from the disk, so all you see are a bunch of 4 (?) letter hashes for the file names and directories.

Def going to get a 2TB external, though, there's no excuse it can't do that.

that's highly user friendly.

Probably about as user friendly as Honda Fit's iPod interface.

Went to the gym again this morning. I've now done about ten spinning classes and am starting to like them. My butt still feels wounded when I'm done, and I definitely wasted money on a $20 gel seat that doesn't really help, but there will hopefully be less of it to hurt if I keep this up.

My butt still feels wounded when I'm done, and I definitely wasted money on a $20 gel seat that doesn't really help, but there will hopefully be less of it to hurt if I keep this up.

Vicki, I had the same issues when I do a decent amout of Abmat situps at Crossfit. Switched to using compression shorts when working out and it totally solved my chafing issues. I now refuse to work out without compression shorts.

Went to the gym again this morning. I've now done about ten spinning classes and am starting to like them. My butt still feels wounded when I'm done, and I definitely wasted money on a $20 gel seat that doesn't really help, but there will hopefully be less of it to hurt if I keep this up.

Don't you pity pro tour cyclists who spend 6 hours a day in the saddle. They suffer from something called "saddle boils", which are open weeping sores around the crotch area. They lather that particular area with a mixture of nappy cream and vaseline before setting off each day to fend off the problem as best they can.

Vicki, I had the same issues when I do a decent amout of Abmat situps at Crossfit. Switched to using compression shorts when working out and it totally solved my chafing issues. I now refuse to work out without compression shorts.

It's not a chaffing problem, but more like a bruising. I'm sitting in a comfy, soft chair at the salon right now, and I'm sore, probably because I went two days in a row. I was going to go tomorrow as well because I know like it, but I dot think so.

I'm not hardcore enough to do the bike shorts thing yet. Folks in the classes all tell me that I'll get used to it. We'll see.

Don't you pity pro tour cyclists who spend 6 hours a day in the saddle. They suffer from something called "saddle boils", which are open weeping sores around the crotch area. They lather that particular area with a mixture of nappy cream and vaseline before setting off each day to fend off the problem as best they can.

:kitty:

On the good news front, I successfully completed my Christmas shopping today, and am now getting all signs of my true aged banished from my hair before taking myself out to a nice dinner. It's a very nice Sunday.

It's not a chaffing problem, but more like a bruising. I'm sitting in a comfy, soft chair at the salon right now, and I'm sore, probably because I went two days in a row. I was going to go tomorrow as well because I know like it, but I dot think so.

I'm not hardcore enough to do the bike shorts thing yet. Folks in the classes all tell me that I'll get used to it. We'll see.

Vicki, I am very much with you here. I have been going to spin class for several weeks now and my ass is still sore. Not chafing sore, muscle sore. Like I pulled my ass. It is getting better, but very slowly. Regardless, I am loving the spin class. Hopefully, it will make a visible difference at some point, but at least I'm feeling healthier.

Glad to know I'm not alone, and ditto with hoping some day it will make a visible difference, but I do feel great when done. Maybe all those other folks have numb butts or just like pain. I seem to be the only one suffering in class.

Also, I'm just now seeing all my ipad typos. Ooops. :)

For the few (one person...?) possibly following, I forgot to update my findings on trying new strings. I put a Pirastro Obligato A on, everything else the same (G and D Thomastik Vision Solo, E is Pirastro Gold Label). It's not as shitty sounding as the Evah Pirazzi but what is. But it doesn't have a pure fundamental, and always sounds like it's false. Also doesn't project. Going to stop experimenting now and just stick with Vision Solos + Gold Label E from now on. Or at least for another year or two.

For the few (one person...?) possibly following, I forgot to update my findings on trying new strings. I put a Pirastro Obligato A on, everything else the same (G and D Thomastik Vision Solo, E is Pirastro Gold Label). It's not as shitty sounding as the Evah Pirazzi but what is. But it doesn't have a pure fundamental, and always sounds like it's false. Also doesn't project. Going to stop experimenting now and just stick with Vision Solos + Gold Label E from now on. Or at least for another year or two.

Dude, try the Warshal. Now. I'm perhaps unwilling to spend as much as you, but I'm pretty impressed. I switched from the Evah's. I do like the Obligattos and Dominants, so it might be a worthy suggestion. I get mine from Quinn online.

Vicki, they have padded biking underwear you might want to consider. I used to wear biking undershorts under my regular workout tightswhen biking in sub 50degree weather; biking tights are $120+, biking undies and regualar tights-$60.

Edited by Augsburger

Dude, try the Warshal. Now. I'm perhaps unwilling to spend as much as you, but I'm pretty impressed. I switched from the Evah's. I do like the Obligattos and Dominants, so it might be a worthy suggestion. I get mine from Quinn online.

Which Warchals do you recommend? I'm thinking the Karneols? And I actually don't like the Obligatos. The best strings I think I've tried so far, ranked are: Vision Solo, Dominant, Larsen Tzigane. Reaaallly want to try the Passiones but they are fricking expensive (~$90 a set). Dominants are cheap, but they die really fast.

Which Warchals do you recommend? I'm thinking the Karneols? And I actually don't like the Obligatos. The best strings I think I've tried so far, ranked are: Vision Solo, Dominant, Larsen Tzigane. Reaaallly want to try the Passiones but they are fricking expensive (~$90 a set). Dominants are cheap, but they die really fast.

I have the Karneols and have tried pretty much every string they make. I like them a lot. It's nice to have another perlon option on the market.

You're going to be a better judge than me. They are cheap and sound good on my instrument, which has just hit the 10 year mark and really seems to be maturing.

My ranking is probably:

Warchal Karneol, Dominant, Wondertone Solo, Evahs, Larsen (regular)

The Larsen regular are great for like 1 week (an exaggeration, but really they're the worst I've seen). I haven't tried the Vision in forever (or Infield). I used the Wondertones for a year or so and liked them, but wanted something cheaper... then I switched briefly back to Dominants and then to the Warchal.

Originally I paid $25 a set for the Warchal, looks like they are $35 now, unless you find them on sale (at Quinn). That's about what, $10 cheaper than Dominants?

Edited by luvdunhill

Unpacked and set up my new speakers. They look even better than the pics! The finish is glass smooth too.

Even better, they sound incredible! The Daber M3 will be relegated to HT use, because these are magic. Very liquid, incredible soundstaging and imaging. Even better than my old Paradigm Reference Active 20. It's early yet, but these may just be the best speaker I've owned to date.

I have the Karneols and have tried pretty much every string they make. I like them a lot. It's nice to have another perlon option on the market.

You're going to be a better judge than me. They are cheap and sound good on my instrument, which has just hit the 10 year mark and really seems to be maturing.

My ranking is probably:

Warchal Karneol, Dominant, Wondertone Solo, Evahs, Larsen (regular)

The Larsen regular are great for like 1 week (an exaggeration, but really they're the worst I've seen). I haven't tried the Vision in forever (or Infield). I used the Wondertones for a year or so and liked them, but wanted something cheaper... then I switched briefly back to Dominants and then to the Warchal.

Originally I paid $25 a set for the Warchal, looks like they are $35 now, unless you find them on sale (at Quinn). That's about what, $10 cheaper than Dominants?

I've always wondered how long it takes a violin to mature. Just my experience playing various violins, I haven't actually heard any good sounding ones newer than 40-50 years old. Cool, I'll try the Karneols and avoid the regular Larsens. I don't think I'll ever try the normal Visions and have heard bad things about the Titanium Solos... you should try Vision Solos sometime.:)