What did you do today?

riceboy

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got up at 3:30 for travel to the frozen tundra of Michigan. Now at the airport. Hoping for more sleep on the plane.

Starting off the day by accidentally drinking NyQuil instead of DayQuil. :palm:

How I mistook the dark green of NyQuil for the bright orange of DayQuil is beyond me.

Hey, that's what I should be doing! Nite nite Haj.

Got up at 3:30 for travel to the frozen tundra of Michigan. Now at the airport. Hoping for more sleep on the plane.

Everywhere on the planet copes with snow better than the UK. With snow forecast for today in our area, we set off early to pick up the Christmas Tree (from the Christmas Tree Barn at Christmas Common! Seriously). -4C but no snow to start. There'd been a bit of snow during the night as we drove further. Collect tree and then it started to snow big time. Half an hour to drive there, hour and a half to drive back. With snow forcecast for days, we saw no sign of ploughs or gritting. Airports closed throughout Britain, chaos everywhere on the roads.

You know how many time Helsinki airport in Finland has been closed in the last ten years? None. In the UK we get 6" of snow and we close the lot. Pathetic.

I think Stretch forgot to mention the giant chess game he played....those ARE Rooks in the last pic, yes? Jealousy abounds here, too, looks awesome....

Also love that Santa "generation" pic, too.... Wayne, love both your suits, and your mom makes the perfect Mrs. Claus!

I'm writing checks today, Chanukkah celebration at my mom's. She held off so all the kids are back from college and we could all be together, very nice stuff. Then tomorrow, my son's 12th birthday. He'll get to play as much XBox as he wants!

I dunno, Texas is pretty bad too.... On the rare occasions we get snow all hell breaks loose :)

Yeah - I can see that snow in Texas is a bit of a rare novelty. But in the UK we get snow on a pretty regular basis. Hell, Cairngorm in Scotland is a ski resort! Now sure, Scotland gets a lot more snow than here in the South (even though only a very few hundred miles separate us), but even there they have ground majestically to a halt - people stranded in their cars for ten hours on the motorways, quite a few fatal car accidents and so forth.

This all happened 12 months ago - and their excuse was that it was freak weather which was not forecast. This year all this was predicted from climate modelling a week in advance. And yet again we have not got our act together. In just-OK-is-good-enough Britain.

Even I would play golf on that course. That looks absolutely gorgeous Stretch.

Get some sleep and try to stay warm Al.

That menu is making me hungry Grahame, even without Mongo's chocolate bacon.

Have a safe and fun trip Shelly. First Class is WIN.

Edited by morphsci

'tis the season I guess Nate. I hope your Christmas isn't too white.

We felt the chilly air when de-planing in Detroit, but now we are keeping warm near the gas fire in the Delta lounge. One little problem, however, is that the kids don't have seat assignments for the next flight to dinky TrAverse City. Now we get to grovel for seats at the gate. I hate fucking airlines.

Got back from a memorial service and food-fest after-service gathering for my friend's husband, and collected her work phone and keys to turn in on Monday. Sadness all around, but it was a nice service. Went through a bunch of papers when I got home and noticed that I got a nice raise on my paycheck that no one told me about, though my anniversary is in a few days. Felt guilty for feeling happy, and now I'm tired and think I'll take a little nap.

I spent some time playing the violin the last few days. I had no idea how much my technique had lasped. I cannot begin to play Flesch in tune and my fingers get confused. I've always wanted to learn Hrimaly, so I'll do that instead. Heifetz' opinion is good enough for me.

Flesch is definitely not fun, pretty much as bad as Paganini caprices but with even less musical content. I'm just getting back into the swing of things after three weeks of not touching the violin. Let us know how Hrimaly is!

Shelly and Vicki, you both deserve your good fortune. Al, try not to freeze your ass off and if you do, defrost it with a few dozen cocktails and a needle and thread.

Spent five and a half hours on the freeway today attending the LA/OC Audio society Christmas gala. Friggin' California drivers are moron's and have no business driving in the rain, I stopped counting after six accidents. Mike Fremer spoke and is a really funny guy and very personable. Kind of like Tyle without the strippers. I was tempted to ask him about Ray's phono pre but thought the better of it. Chatted very briefly with Eveana Manley and kissed up unashamedly for my very far in the future Manley mono block purchase. Oh, and I finally won something in the raffle which I am not sure I can use. All in all a nice day.

FYI June 3,4,5 will be the "The Show" in Newport Beach co sponsored by Stereophile and Absolute Sound. Vendor list so far is pretty impressive and I think it is sold out for vendors. The HeadCase travel team should consider this seriously. Rumor is they will have lots of good scotch and live music scheduled. Tribute to Jobim on Friday and tribute to Horace Silver on Saturday. I am working feverishly on my hall pass for that weekend.