price of HE90/HEV90

waddragon

then how about the HEV90? how much do you think it will cost?

You really think you'll find one for sale without the headphones?

Given current market demand I'd say it's damn near impossible to say what either component would go for. I've heard rumors of offers similar to what is being discussed here that have been rejected. And hell, wasn't their a WTB offer on Audiogon for $12k that went unanswered for months?

then how about the HEV90? how much do you think it will cost?

it's hard to predict this one since it's almost always going to come with a pair of headphones and some of the older HE90 i've seen look much more worn than the ones that came from Meier 2 years ago. If you did find the amp by itself i think you could pay anywhere from 3 to 6k for it

it's hard to predict this one since it's almost always going to come with a pair of headphones and some of the older HE90 i've seen look much more worn than the ones that came from Meier 2 years ago. If you did find the amp by itself i think you could pay anywhere from 3 to 6k for it

Some of the older HE90's are indeed worn, and I know of two that have had driver issues. Since a driver replacement is about $2500 or so, that ain't good.

You're right that pricing is hard to predict. Essentially, the first step for a buyer is to find a seller. Then you've got to work out a price that's agreeable to both. That's the price, which will depend entirely on the buyer and seller. My HE90 is technically not for sale, but if some truly crazy person were to put a $25K offer on the table, I'd certainly consider it. If I took such an offer, would that make the HE90 a $25K headphone? Not really. There's a limited number of truly crazy people with lots of money who want expensive headphones out there.

There were more HE90's built than HEV90's, so that while the HE90 can be seen without the HEV90, I've never seen an amp without the headphone. Note that the HEV90 has output jacks specific to the HE90, so that if the headphone were sold, the HEV90 would essentially be a dead weight. The amp has low bias voltage for Stax pro bias headphones, so it's not likely to be sought for those. The only possible buyers would be those who had an HE90 already without the amp, and, at the price point, there are now several better sounding amps than the HEV90.

However, the fact that HEV90 is not the king of electrostatic amps (to many ears, anyway) does help pricing of a set. While headphone pricing is high, amp pricing isn't keeping up. Most of the money will be for the headphone, rather than the amp. I'd estimate about $14K +/- for a full system. However, the first step is to find the full system...