My GS1000 is broken !!!

Cankin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It came off itself :sadcat:

I'm worrying that, if I send it back to Grado, I'll be taxed when I get it back. Anybody Canadian tried shipping their Grado headphones back for repair?

Oh crap. That really is terrible. I hope mind hold up. I had the GS1000 before and they were fine. I just got this pair and they are still 10/10 on the Agon scale. I don't know about taxes to Canada once they send it back. Maybe you try to email Grado and see if they know about the taxes to Canada? Just worth a shot. I have heard that Grado has good customer service and are great for issues such as these.

super. glue.

I like Gorilla Glue as it is pretty strong stuff. :prettyprincess: I'm sure someone here might be able to recommend something better. So bummed for you Cankin :(

Cankin,

As suggested above, I would simply glue it back for a quick fix.

Another solution would be to take your cans back to your original dealer. Show them the issue and have them remove and order you a replacement metal gimbal assembly with height rod under warranty. The gimbal assembly is available for order to authorized Grado dealers only.

If the shop does not feel comfortable removing the gimbal assembly and suggest you send in your cans for warranty. You can either ship them directly back to Grado Labs or to the Audio Group, the Canadian Grado distributor for warranty service.

Best,

Kev

If you're friends with your family dentist, I'd ask him to use his air abrasion unit to prep the two metal parts where they join and use the JB Weld as suggested earlier. I can promise you that you'll not see those pieces apart again. Btw, be sure to use some barriers to protect the vital parts of the GS1000 from the aluminum oxide particles. A couple of rubber bands and sandwich baggies will do nicely.

Duggeh I believe both parts are metal.

If you have any experience with JB Weld that's what I'd use, but go sparingly and use a toothpick to get it down inside the slot. It won't ever break loose after JB Weld.

Have to check out JB Weld later. I knew someone here could recommend something :)

Cankin, if they are only one month old why not return to the dealer and get a new pair.

This is a good question by Tkam. I would definitely try to go through the dealer unless you brought these used. I just assumed you might have picked them up used so then you could try a fix on your end or try Grado.

Purchased used or not I still believe the warranty would be in effect unless they were illegally imported, even then you'd think that Grado might back their statement headphone. There's no excuse for a $1000 headphone falling apart like that and it shouldn't be the owner's responsibility to fix it.

Purchased used or not I still believe the warranty would be in effect unless they were illegally imported, even then you'd think that Grado might back their statement headphone. There's no excuse for a $1000 headphone falling apart like that and it shouldn't be the owner's responsibility to fix it.

Now that I think about it I do remember threads when an RS1 was broken and it was purchased used, the OP contacted Grado and they sent it in and they fixed it :). That's a good point about there statement product should hold up better than that :(. I would definitely check with Grado too.

If you're adamant about returning the cans to Grado, I think they'll do you right. I'd purchased a pair of RS-1's back when I was into headphones and felt underwhelmed with some of the cosmetics/fit/finish so I got in touch with Grado and they not only agreed to allow me to return those cans, but they hand picked the best pair they had from current inventory and got them right out to me. Pretty nice pair....and all on their dime. Grado did right by me. I'll agree that they should do better at quality control on their end. Stinks to have customers dealing with such issues.

There's no excuse for a $1000 headphone falling apart like that and it shouldn't be the owner's responsibility to fix it.

there's one--grado made it! :laugh:

I'd purchased a pair of RS-1's back when I was into headphones and felt underwhelmed with some of the cosmetics/fit/finish so I got in touch with Grado and they not only agreed to allow me to return those cans, but they hand picked the best pair they had from current inventory and got them right out to me.

about a year ago i purchased a new pair that had substandard wood and workmanship, but grado didn't want to cherry pick. they told the merchant to send me a replacement, which wasn't much better. i just returned it.

i'd contact grado and tell them your problem and concerns. they should take care of you.

• 3 weeks later...