Best match for Stax SR-003

Tony

Hi guys. I just bought a Stax SRS-005 system which consists in a SRM-Xh amp and SR-003 earphones. After some time spent on thinking, I've decided to experiment some configurations.

Basically, I'm looking for a better amp. I know the SRM-Xh is a vintage amp, and there should be better alternatives to use with the babystax.

I'd like something that's an upgrade over the stock SRM-252 amp. I have been advised towards the SRM-313 as a good match, but I'd like to know if there are any others.

I really want to exploit the best potential of the sr-003, especially since they tend to be dark, while higher models, like the Lambdas, tend to be very forward in the upper midrange, which I don't want.

Plus the Babystax should be the only cheap electrostatics that can give a hint of the Omega II sound.

Thanks to everyone willing to help.

Tony

Plus the Babystax should be the only cheap electrostatics that can give a hint of the Omega II sound.

I've compared both side to side and they don't share the same sound signature at all, sorry to disappoint you. :-p

In fact, even the Lambdas don't sound much like the OII, but they have their own strengths.

Tony,

I have a hard time giving any advice given how quickly you seem to mow through gear.

Heh. I love to try things, much more than stop at an effective goal. The discovery process gives me the most pleasure.

The SR-003 is silly good at some things with the BH driving it.

And the ES-1 ;) . But as stated earlier the sound signature is not really that similar to the OII. To me it is most similar to the HE-60 but even that is not that close IMO. I find my 003's to sound very good (given their limitations) out of the SRM-252II. They do sound better out of the ES-1 but not that much better. I would give the 3xx a try, but only because I am curious and don't feel like buying a 3xx amp. :popcorn: