postjack

beatles vs. stones  

19 members have voted

1. 1. beatles vs. stones

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Eagles... :vomit:, though with your memories of your dad I can see that. For me, it will be 'til Hell Freezes Over before I would make the effort to play them.

Sticky Fingers, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Exile on Mainstreet
All the sloppy albums I hate! The Stones also have the sloppiest "pro" drummer I can think of...makes Ringo sound like Bonham/Moon/Mitchell/[insert other good drummer here].

They have...great songs that aren't usually heard on the radio...Much of the pop music you all listen to today was already written by the Beatles, so you like them whether you realize it or not...
Both of these statements are incorrect. Their entire catalog has been overplayed, which is why I don't listen to them. The songs I listen to -- even the Beatles-y ones -- have not, which is why I choose to listen to non-Beatles songs over Beatles songs every time. No other reason. I will not argue over the quality of their song-writing, their musicianship, their ear for pop sensibility, nothing. Only the fact that I -- that's me, no-one else -- have heard too many of their songs too many times.

The correct answer is Elvis.

Fleetwood Mac and America were my Eagles, taking me back to my childhood.

My favorite Eagles stat is a poll quite some time ago placed them as the most influential band on the Southern California Punk scene. It gave them someone to hate. There may be no X without the Eagles. ;)

I love the pre-Joe Walsh Eagles and am in basic agreement about Bob Seger. He came and went very quickly. I wonder if that was just an over reaction to Disco? ;)

Bob Seger's band played at my cousin's high school prom, and I saw him at a couple local bars in the mid 70s. He always did good shows, but I never saw him in a Stadium. Grand Funk Railroad also used to do bar gigs around Flint when not on the road, but just for fun. Back then, you could be famous, or close, and still do that sort of thing, and also just hang out, drink beer and play darts. As far as the Eagles go, I like a couple songs, but ugh to the rest.

All the sloppy albums I hate! The Stones also have the sloppiest "pro" drummer I can think of...makes Ringo sound like Bonham/Moon/Mitchell/[insert other good drummer here].

I suspect you'll then hate much of what pleases me most. I have a strong liking for messy, sloppy, raw, nasty, and very loud music, as long as it's well done, of course. :)

Both are completely overrated IMO, but both are still good. they both made history and the members either are history or look like they been dead for the last few decades.

I have the stones greatest hits cd on my ipod and i play it often enough i my bar that i have to switch out to Zepplin/deep purple/etc. i have no beatles now on my ipod mostly due to the fact the overhype of them always drew me away. i have lots of beatles vinyl but never gave it a spin...

i am redoing my itunes music with EAC/codec at 128 replacing all the lossless files from scratch..i only have to replace 2000 more songs! but my point is my friend gave me about 80 cds to throw on my itunes after i am done replacing. lots of beatles cds are included so i will have them in the near future..then i will give them a bit more of a serious listen.

Beatles/Stones/Zepplin/Elvis are all really overated to me...again they are good but there is plently better out there.

<snipped>

I suspect you'll then hate much of what pleases me most. I have a strong liking for messy, sloppy, raw, nasty, and very loud music, as long as it's well done, of course. :)

Not necessarily, as it seems alot of what you mention in music I like... just not the '70s or later Stones.

Interesting, Grand Funk was the first "famous" band I ever saw live...