Global economics 101...Little Dot mk VI

JimP

I've always been curious about the Little Dot range of amps at the low end of the market. Certain people over at at other place seem to lose their load just at the thought of them.

Have many of you folks here heard them? Is any of the hype justified?

english is my second language as well, and as reks said, you should have lurked more

Give the poor guy a break - I think it is a cultural difference with regards to sense of humour, as much as a language difference ;)

Eh, I think the old little dot ones (I had the Little Dot 2+ for a while) were pretty damn good for $100. I'm pretty sure a pimeta beat it the last time I compared, but there's no other "decent" tube amps out for $100. It sure got me hooked to the sound of overblown bass and high distortion ;)

I would buy one, but I would have to use a dual 3-pin XLR to 4-pin XLR adapter. I like the 4-pin XLR, but it seems the dual 3-pins are the standard and all my balanced headphones have the dual 3-pins.

I tried to join Team Balanced last year, but haven't received my balanced SinglePower amp yet. I think I won't see that amp until late 2009, so getting this inexpensive balanced amp is tempting. I've been sitting around with 6 or 7 balanced headphones and no balanced amp for several months.

I searched some more, apparently it's even cheaper, like ~US$500 :o Is that possible? I just sent off an email to Little Dot to enquire how I can purchase one of these. What the hell given all my phones happen to be terminated in 4-pin XLR. Doesn't work out, I'll just use it as a beater amp at the office. I don't have high expectations, but hey it's got a cool 'steam punk' look to it.

Team Quality-Sound-Is-Overrated, Team Retro-Cool-Looking-Gadgets

(uh, still I hope it sounds semi-credible...)

Yes. No.

Which Little Dot did you try. I have the Little Dot MKIII, and was/is my first tube amp. I would like to know what other tube amps it really is comparable too. For almost all LD owners over at head-fi, the LD amps are their first tube amps, and often even their first amp. Thus, their hype doesn't provide any information at all.

I would buy one, but I would have to use a dual 3-pin XLR to 4-pin XLR adapter. I like the 4-pin XLR, but it seems the dual 3-pins are the standard and all my balanced headphones have the dual 3-pins.

I tried to join Team Balanced last year, but haven't received my balanced SinglePower amp yet. I think I won't see that amp until late 2009, so getting this inexpensive balanced amp is tempting. I've been sitting around with 6 or 7 balanced headphones and no balanced amp for several months.

I feel your pain mate, even if I only have 2 balanced headphones sitting idle.

I feel your pain mate, even if I only have 2 balanced headphones sitting idle.

Not having a balanced amp is no reason to not be able to listen to balanced headphones. All one has to do is get or build an XLR to 1/4" (or 1/8") adapter. That's what I use to listen to my pair of balanced HP2's being driven by an SP Extreme.

Yes, I'm using an adapter in order to listen to the balanced headphones with a Zana Deux. I've never heard a balanced amp. This LD amp is attractively priced and would be nice to have as an "appetizer" before the SinglePower main course arrives.

Darkless, I haven't even ordered a balanced cable from APureSound for the Qualia yet, but I definitely will.

Here's a pic of the adapter.

XLRtoRCAadapter.jpg