comfort issues with k340

diebenkorn

After listening to 340's for about 30 minutes the top part of my right ear begins to hurt then it becomes unbearable, I also feel the clamp is too strong on my head. I changed the elastics that did not help, I took off the plastic part and just hooked the elastics over the part of plastic used to go over and that did not really work. These have the velour pads and I have a big noggin. I am probably going to try different pads but wondered if any one had any suggestions before going this route or should I just cut the tops of my ears off?

I ended up making a new headband out of some fabric scraps and polyester matting I had lying around. In my case the stock headband was deformed a bit and sat on my head at a weird angle which just felt wrong, so I broke out the sewing machine and made a new one. Some people have been swapping the headband with ones off K501's and other more recent AKG headphones and reported good results, that might be something to look into along with rebending things a bit.

I had different comfort issues; there wasn't nearly enough clamping force and the right earcup kept coming off at the bottom. There needs to be a perfect fit for this headphone to generate any meaningful bass, and to have equal volumes of bass in both ears I had to hold the right earcup in place. I couldn't really get a good fit otherwise, with any elastics, or any pair of K340s modded or unmodded.

I think it's a spectacularly shitty chassis design, but given the age, it's forgivable.

I would love to see it on a DT770 chassis, meaning K340 earcups with pleather earpads and DT770 headband. Or something similar at least.

I'm pretty marginal in terms of fit as well, the headphones sit a bit too loose on my head and I have to be pretty careful in moving my head around or else the damn things fall off. Bending in the metal rail thingys and installing a shorter headband helped, but it's still not the greatest fit.

I guess that I'm just lucky. I can wear my K340s for hours with no problems. They aren't really comfy, but cause no comfort problems for me.

I just received my 340's yesterday and wore them for probably 3 hours last night with zero comfort issues. Oh, they're not perfect in that respect, it takes some messing about to get them placed right on my noggin, but no problem once that was done.

I guess that I'm just lucky. I can wear my K340s for hours with no problems. They aren't really comfy, but cause no comfort problems for me.

The only comfort issues I had was that they were heavy. Your head must be gigantic if they're clamping.

Yeah me too. In fact I don't find them overly heavy either, because they fit me so well. I guess my head is smaller than most guys my size, because I haven't had any real issues with headphone fit at all. I hope that's not related to brain capacity, but that would explain some things in my past.

I did find the screen mod and the velour to be a great improvement though, but after 20 years of wearing them stock they felt very different at first.