Raptor Tube Rolling Recommendations Please!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

most likely a chain jerk as anyone in Audio that has not been banned or has personal vendettas against any maker knows the real deal advice on such a subject has been brought up many of times on thee most popular headphone forum already...

which is Head-fi...

and to answer the question shortly 5687-tung, 12au7-sylvania!

So tell me, what amp do I have to buy to make you guys happy?

BUY A LITTLE DOT MICRO+ IT IS WIRE WITH GAIN BUT IF YOU ADD GOOD CAPACITORS IT SOUNDS SO DYNAMIC AND BLOOMS THAT IT IS LIKE THE BEST DH_SET OTL SOUND COUPLED WITH THE ELECTROSTATIC ENERGIZER DETAIL AND LINEARTY.

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED IN NUMEROUS CAPACITOR ROLLING STUDIES IN VARIOUS POSITIONS LIKE THIS:

ldm_k42y.jpg

RESULT: MORE LIQUIDITY AND SPARKLE IN THE HIGHS BUT BASS IS NOT IMPROVED. FAIL.

NEXT:

ldm_caps.jpg

RESULT: WITH POWER SUPPLY UPGRADE DYNAMICS IS ADDED BUT THERE IS A SMOOTHING OF TRANSIENTS. FAIL.

FINALLY:

ldm_aacaps.jpg

RESULT: BIG BASS, BIG DYNAMICS, LUSCIOUS MIDS, AIRY TOP WITH SOME SPARKLES

NO ONE DARES MAKE FUN OF MY AMPS NO BECAUSE I CAN TURN ANY AMP INTO GOLD BECAUSE I KNOW AUDIO ALCHEMY.

Guest sacd lover
most likely a chain jerk as anyone in Audio that has not been banned or has personal vendettas against any maker knows the real deal advice on such a subject has been brought up many of times on thee most popular headphone forum already...

which is Head-fi...

and to answer the question shortly 5687-tung, 12au7-sylvania!

The TS 5687's are the generally acknowledged best 5687. But, the Sylvania 5687 and Raytheon 5687's are also VERY good. You can also use the 7044 as a 5687 sub .... I like the GE 7044's .... or the Amperex 7119 as another 5687 sub.

12AU7's are not particularly linear or good sounding. The best 12AU7 type I have used (in a heavily modded Doge 6210) is the 5814A .... try the RCA 5814 for a richer sound or the early 1950's Hytron or Raytheon 5814A two mica, black plate, D getter for a cleaner and more detailed sound. If I were you I would try some 12BH7A's. The 12BH7 is just a much better sounding tube than the 12AU7 types. Again, the RCA 12BH7's are mellower and richer sounding tubes while the Raytheon (Japan .... nice tube) or Sylvania 12BH7 are cleaner, faster and airier sounding tubes.

I use the 6GU7 for gain duty .... which is a 6 volt version of the 12BH7 (with a different pinout) in a Singlepower PPX3 SLAM, Singlepower Supra and sometimes in the Singlepower Extreme. The 6GU7/12BH7 is one of my very favorite tubes.

BUY A LITTLE DOT MICRO+ IT IS WIRE WITH GAIN BUT IF YOU ADD GOOD CAPACITORS IT SOUNDS SO DYNAMIC AND BLOOMS THAT IT IS LIKE THE BEST DH_SET OTL SOUND COUPLED WITH THE ELECTROSTATIC ENERGIZER DETAIL AND LINEARTY.

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED IN NUMEROUS CAPACITOR ROLLING STUDIES IN VARIOUS POSITIONS LIKE THIS:

RESULT: MORE LIQUIDITY AND SPARKLE IN THE HIGHS BUT BASS IS NOT IMPROVED. FAIL.

NEXT:

RESULT: WITH POWER SUPPLY UPGRADE DYNAMICS IS ADDED BUT THERE IS A SMOOTHING OF TRANSIENTS. FAIL.

FINALLY:

RESULT: BIG BASS, BIG DYNAMICS, LUSCIOUS MIDS, AIRY TOP WITH SOME SPARKLES

NO ONE DARES MAKE FUN OF MY AMPS NO BECAUSE I CAN TURN ANY AMP INTO GOLD BECAUSE I KNOW AUDIO ALCHEMY.

lookup.jpg

The TS 5687's are the generally acknowledged best 5687. But, the Sylvania 5687 and Raytheon 5687's are also VERY good. You can also use the 7044 as a 5687 sub .... I like the GE 7044's .... or the Amperex 7119 as another 5687 sub.

12AU7's are not particularly linear or good sounding. The best 12AU7 type I have used (in a heavily modded Doge 6210) is the 5814A .... try the RCA 5814 for a richer sound or the early 1950's Hytron or Raytheon 5814A two mica, black plate, D getter for a cleaner and more detailed sound. If I were you I would try some 12BH7A's. The 12BH7 is just a much better sounding tube than the 12AU7 types. Again, the RCA 12BH7's are mellower and richer sounding tubes while the Raytheon (Japan .... nice tube) or Sylvania 12BH7 are cleaner, faster and airier sounding tubes.

I use the 6GU7 for gain duty .... which is a 6 volt version of the 12BH7 (with a different pinout) in a Singlepower PPX3 SLAM, Singlepower Supra and sometimes in the Singlepower Extreme. The 6GU7/12BH7 is one of my very favorite tubes.

Thanks, I have the Tung Sols on the way and now im going to take your recommendations and look for a 12BH7A.

Your right, I should have spent more time with all 17 threads concerning amps. BTW if I want etiquette lessons from you I will tell you so, OK?

Yes, why should you do any work when we are all here to spoon feed you? Too bad you parents didn't seem to give you any etiquette lessons.

Asshat alert.

i bet he's just jerking our chains.
You think? (See green smiley face attached to initial post.) I was just feeding him the response he was expecting.
Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions and warm welcome.

So tell me, what amp do I have to buy to make you guys happy?

Nice.

And: Doesn't work that way, you buy amp to make you happy (or, if in Russia, amp buys you!).

But if you really want an amp that will make us happy, buy the new Uber-Millet from TTVJ.

Your right, I should have spent more time with all 17 threads concerning amps. BTW if I want etiquette lessons from you I will tell you so, OK?

1) It's "you're" as in "you are" not "your". Unless by "your right" you refer to my right to exercise free speech and call you a fucking idiot.

2) I don't see this ending well for you for some reason.

3) There isn't an amp you can buy which'll make us happy, if you think there is one, you are truly a clueless twat.