n_maher, so how is it with your new bundle of joy?

JimP

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You look tired but happy, and Lily looks like a sweetie...Congrats man :)

:prettyprincess:

You should see me now, I think she slept less than 4hrs last night. I was up with her from 12 to 3 and so far this morning she's decided that she doesn't want to sleep at all.

You've recovered well from the rigors of childbirth :)

Heh, that is a state that changes daily.

It's pretty amazing how hard this is on both mom and dad - there's no guidebook, no instructions, no one else's experience really matters since every baby and their habits, needs, etc, are different and since the baby's only means of communication is to cry you're pretty much always operating in uncharted waters. And like I said yesterday, I'm sure at some point this process will become more joyful and less stressful but right now, holy shit what I wouldn't give for for a stretch of uninterrupted sleep.

there's no guide book, you're right. be creative. we stumbled on the fact that our newborn likes motion. so we got this moses basket thingy with handles. We laid her (gently) in the basket, and i would just carry her around the house for hours (great workout btw). not saying this will work for you. hang in there, it's worth it!

No gifts required, unless someone has a way to teach her that it's ok to sleep when she's not being held. That's her new trick - for the last three nights she won't sleep more than 10min at a stretch unless she's being held. That makes papa Nate a sad panda.

Ouch that sucks. Hopefully she breaks that habit soon.

Actually, it sounds more like she's breaking them in. My cat does the same thing -- she sits in my lap, then starts to slip off so that I have to catch her, and then after I catch her, settles down so that I have to continue holding her. She was rather disappointed the one time I let her fall off, and let me know by clawing her way back on.

Nate, that'll work itself out. The trick will be to learn how to put her down once she's fallen asleep. It takes a lot of practice :)

My son was the same way in the beginning. Then I started to put him down once he fallen asleep. I swear it took some practice. It was like I was trying to swap the bag of sand for the idol in Indiana Jones :). I hope you start to feel better as well.

I hear it gets a little easier after 1000 hours of parenting... you just need more burn in Nate.
I hope it only takes that long. I can say that's she really developing her voice after just 220hrs, a little harsh in the highs at times but occassionally has a really great quiet background.

Of course I've never been a parent but I feel that my comment is just as valid as a parent's since I'm posting it on the internet.

I'd expect nothing less from you, nothing less. ;D

• 3 months later...