Benchmark DAC1 PRE

postjack

DAC1 PRE - Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.

I have never heard a DAC1, and I get the impression that they are generally frowned upon here at Head-Case, while the rest of the audio world seems to be impressed.

The review of the new Benchmark DAC1 PRE in the most recent Hi-Fi news was nothing short of glowing. Ken Kessler couldn't seem to find enough good things to say about this unit, including that it made one recording "...sound as lush and room-filling as a mint original vinyl pressing."

So anyone heard one of these? Its level of functionality truly is enticing at its price tag of $1575.

Ken Kessler couldn't seem to find enough good things to say about this unit, including that it made one recording "...sound as lush and room-filling as a mint original vinyl pressing."

A dac1 thats warm? Unless the dac1 pre is significantly different than previous dac1's I'd have to question his definition of "warm". I don't think the dac1 is a bad dac, I just find it to be bright and at times thin.

A dac1 thats warm? Unless the dac1 pre is significantly different than previous dac1's I'd have to question his definition of "warm". I don't think the dac1 is a bad dac, I just find it to be bright and at times thin.
Sounds like an impedance mismatch -- this doesn't sound like my experience at all. I did find it detailed -- maybe not the warmest DAC I've ever heard, but nice and accurate. Of course, it was competing with a Rega Planet, whose sound I prefer to most everything else at that price range.

They need to charge 2495$ per unit so that it could be called a high end DAC.

Do you think it will sell as well at that price?

I also have a Lavry DA10. It is good, no doubt, and I think it is a great value. But do you think Dan Lavry would keep selling the Lavry Gold DA2002 (and use it himself at home) if the DA10 was as good as it gets?

I've heard the DA2002, and it sounded sublime. I don't think the DA10 or Benchmark DAC1 are sublime.

• 9 months later...

dac1-hdr-silver-front.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Benchmark Media Unveils Their Flagship DAC1 HDR with Remote Control

SYRACUSE, New York, April 09, 2009 - Benchmark Media Systems, the designers of the award-winning DAC1 family, has announced the release of their flagship stereo preamplifier, the DAC1 HDR. The DAC1 HDR incorporates several of Benchmark