Deals

Dusty Chalk

• 2 weeks later...

Seagate 1 Terrabyte drive from ZZF = $127.

I've bought 3 of these so far. They run alot hotter than my WD 640GB drives, but they seem ok.

I bought them for $139 and $149. They arrived from ZZF packed in the best HD foam cage I have ever seen. Basically a box with a folding door, all made out of foam. I'm keeping them to store unused disks on my shelf now :)

I just added a third seagate (as described above) about 5 minutes ago to the array. I had the "Drobo Dashboard" open as I did it. Boom, instant 930 gigs of free space added. This was the first drive added where I didnt have to go through any sort of initiation procedure. It was pretty sweet.

As for data loss, I've not owned a drobo anywhere near long enough to confidently vouch for it. Though it may be pertinent to mention this is "Drobo 2.0", i.e. the first revision. I installed some updates/drivers before adding any drives. Only time will tell, I guess.

Good thing is this in itself is a backup for me. I've got a bunch of 640GB WD drives with all my music, for use in my Thermaltake Blaxx units. Everything gets ripped to the 640GBs initially for now, then added to the Drobo. No sense moving this thing around.

2844209209_ca6fe435db.jpg?v=0

The HD cage ZZF ships with Seagate 1Tb drives:

2844216735_1734ed8a61.jpg?v=0

How cool is that? :D

Hey Alex :). Let us know how you like them through time. I was looking at the Drobo, but I found out when I called them that if the unit goes bad there is no way to recover the data if attaching the drive(s) to an external USB hard drive case. I was pretty bummed when I heard that so I opted not to get it. I also asked if I could pay more to extend the warranty over a year but it was a no go on that as well. I'm glad you are liking it though :).

Asus Eee PC 1000H which has Windows XP home and a 80GB drive. It is only $449.00 with free shipping from Amazon. The battery life on it is great, 95% of a regular size keyboard and it is only 3.2 pounds.

Amazon.com: ASUS Eee PC 1000H 80G (10-inch Display, 1.6 GHz Intel ATOM Processor, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, XP Home, 6 Cell Battery) Fine Ebony: Computers & PC Hardware

I just added a third seagate (as described above) about 5 minutes ago to the array. I had the "Drobo Dashboard" open as I did it. Boom, instant 930 gigs of free space added. This was the first drive added where I didnt have to go through any sort of initiation procedure. It was pretty sweet.

As for data loss, I've not owned a drobo anywhere near long enough to confidently vouch for it. Though it may be pertinent to mention this is "Drobo 2.0", i.e. the first revision. I installed some updates/drivers before adding any drives. Only time will tell, I guess.

Good thing is this in itself is a backup for me. I've got a bunch of 640GB WD drives with all my music, for use in my Thermaltake Blaxx units. Everything gets ripped to the 640GBs initially for now, then added to the Drobo. No sense moving this thing around.

%7Boption%7D2844209209_ca6fe435db.jpg?v=0[/iM]

The HD cage ZZF ships with Seagate 1Tb drives:

%7Boption%7D2844216735_1734ed8a61.jpg?v=0[/iM]

How cool is that? :D

Are you still able to fit all your music on a 2 TB drive ;)

heh. Within a few weeks time, answer to that will be no ;D

I seem to have gotten into a pattern here; get paid, buy hard drives, get paid, buy hard drives...:palm::P

I think the only answer for a failed drobo is getting another one, and putting the drives in, in the same order they were in the last one.

I almost passed on the drobo for the same reasons Riceboy mentioned above, but decided the convenience was worth the risk for me personally, especially since its not my only source of backup. For me, it was either this or get at least 2 more Thermaltake Blaxxs. Not as convenient, but that would have been a lot cheaper though.

37" Westinghouse 1080P w/ 2 DVI/ 1 HDMI = $600

I've contemplated this model so many times, but I just dont have the room for it. Its not without its problems, but it was pretty popular as a computer monitor in its time (assuming you can be at least 3 or 4 feet back).

This is not a refurbished model, as far as I can tell.

205467075.jpg