Deals

Dusty Chalk

morphsci, could you say a few things about the amp & pre performance? Have to admit I'm tempted by price and design.

As a pre it is fairly unobtrusive if you want it to be but it is also very flexible. It has actual tone controls, that really work, but they can be bypassed. It has pre/main outs as Well as a separate subwoofer out with selectable analog bass management (can also be bypassed). The amplifier is quite powerful and quite neutral, lean toward the leaner rather than richer side of neutral. The USB DAC was not very good and my main use was using a computer as source. It also has a MM/MC phono stage but I never used mine since it was in the office. Hope this helps. I believe they have a 30 day trial no questions asked, at least they used to.

Wow, I was just looking at a used RR2150, for $450. I need a new receiver for upstairs, and the USB DAC is part of the appeal for me. Even if it's not particularly high end, it makes for easy connectivity to my laptop. Currently I'm using an optical connection, and the cable and 1/8" adapter aren't nearly rugged enough for the task. I'm sure the phono pre is not up to the high falutin' standards of an audio snob, but would enable me to hook up my spare 1200 upstairs. I resisted buying the Outlaw last year, as they'd just raised the price on it. I need to be saving for a Mac desktop. :palm:

How is the headamp in it? And the phono stage? Think it's as good as the bugle?

The headmp is better than OK. About as good as on an old Sansui integrated and a NAD preamp, I owned in a previous life. I mainly used an external headamp, but I was going through a lot of different ones at the time so the built-in headamp was used quite often with no lasting scars. I never used the phono-stage so I cannot comment on its quality even If I had heard a Hagerman Bugle.

What specific types of things are you guys using these for?

I'm using it for greatly increased play time for the Ipod Touch. Like for two cross country plane trips in 3 days (canjam).

Basically as I understand it anything that can be charged or run from a USB power source will work off of one of these.

Edited by n_maher