Deals

Dusty Chalk

I have a co-worker who is selling her Kindle DX + red leather cover + protective gel for back + remainder of extended warranty ($663 value) for $400 -- good deal? I'm thinking about it. The cheapest I'm seeing a DX by itself previously having been sold on eBay is $398, so I'm thinking the extended warranty alone makes this worth it.

I have a co-worker who is selling her Kindle DX + red leather cover + protective gel for back + remainder of extended warranty ($663 value) for $400 -- good deal? I'm thinking about it. The cheapest I'm seeing a DX by itself previously having been sold on eBay is $398, so I'm thinking the extended warranty alone makes this worth it.

Yes, definitely seems worth it. The extended warranty is pretty important for the DX since they tend to crack quite easily.

Read the low rated reviews at Amazon and you'll see that it's important not to ever use any of the cases that connect the DX to the case via the two little metal tabs. Unless, of course, you don't ever expect to travel with it and thus are not likely to accidentally apply too much pressure at these points (as can happen when the DX gets loaded into a bag with other stuff that gets piled on top of it).

Problem is, it seems to be hit or miss -- even with the extended warranty -- as to whether they'll replace it under those above described circumstances. (Although having the extended warranty and huffing and puffing a bit surely couldn't hurt.) It seems that they've been trained to say no and blame it on the customer for misuse of the product which is complete and utter BS given that it happens so frequently and often with not all that much pressure applied at those two attachment points (i.e., a clear design flaw if there ever was one).

Same problem occurs with the regular Kindle but since the screen isn't nearly as big, it seems to take a bit more pressure at the leverage points to cause the screen to crack.

Yes, definitely seems worth it. The extended warranty is pretty important for the DX since they tend to crack quite easily.

Read the low rated reviews at Amazon and you'll see that it's important not to ever use any of the cases that connect the DX to the case via the two little metal tabs. Unless, of course, you don't ever expect to travel with it and thus are not likely to accidentally apply too much pressure at these points (as can happen when the DX gets loaded into a bag with other stuff that gets piled on top of it).

Problem is, it seems to be hit or miss -- even with the extended warranty -- as to whether they'll replace it under those above described circumstances. (Although having the extended warranty and huffing and puffing a bit surely couldn't hurt.) It seems that they've been trained to say no and blame it on the customer for misuse of the product which is complete and utter BS given that it happens so frequently and often with not all that much pressure applied at those two attachment points (i.e., a clear design flaw if there ever was one).

Same problem occurs with the regular Kindle but since the screen isn't nearly as big, it seems to take a bit more pressure at the leverage points to cause the screen to crack.

I don't intend to travel with it, and if I do, I'll get a hard case or something. Thanks for the advice.

PS I went ahead. She's not expecting to see any money until April at the earliest, which is really nice of her.

My co-worker said she didn't have any trouble with the extended warranty people -- they even shipped her a new one before she shipped back the broken one, so that she wouldn't have to be without. So I think I'll go to her for advice on how to deal with them if I do.

I don't intend to travel with it, and if I do, I'll get a hard case or something. Thanks for the advice.

PS I went ahead. She's not expecting to see any money until April at the earliest, which is really nice of her.

My co-worker said she didn't have any trouble with the extended warranty people -- they even shipped her a new one before she shipped back the broken one, so that she wouldn't have to be without. So I think I'll go to her for advice on how to deal with them if I do.

That's excellent! You're getting a great price and you'll absolutely love reading with this device. I've been somewhat tempted to buy a DX to keep at home and use my Kindle 2 when traveling, just because I think it would be fun to have the larger screen, the horizontal view option, etc. Just not sure I'd make enough use of it to justify having two of them lying around.

Not sure if this applies to the DX as well, but for the reg. sized Kindle the extended warranty only covers one replacement. Kind of a bummer if you ask me.