Deals

Dusty Chalk

I use it simply because I like the eInk. It's easy on the eyes for hours of reading, which is usually where I find myself. I can't imagine plowing through Cryptonomicon on a backlit screen. Aside from that, the iPad reader apps are all brilliant, and I think eInk as a technology will likely be somewhat marginalized by excellent devices like the iPad.

I love the eInk for daytime reading. But a large park of my reading time is spent in a dim room in the evening while my family watches TV, or after my wife is a asleep because I'm a night owl, etc... Once B&N updated their reader for iPad, I started using the nook a little more during the day but the iPad in the PM. They still don't seem to sync last page read properly, so when I switch I have to search for a unique phrase on the last page that I read and search for it in the next device. That is such a pain that it's often easier to ignore the nook and keep reading on the iPad. Maybe a Kindle would be a better idea since they sync last page read properly, but I keep thinking that B&N will fix this issue soon (despite 4 updates in 6 months that didn't).

I just bought the AirPort Express for $60 and an AirPort Base Station for $106 from them. Now I need to buy a new cable modem.

yelp same here, installing the extreme down stairs and the Express as a repeater upstairs! here i come 22-24Mbps!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!!!!! must do some research on how to connect these two!

Don't use the express as a repeater unless you really need it, because it'll slow down your whole network. Or extend the 2.4ghz network, and save the 5.8ghz network for higher speed use, and keep them separate (possible with the current gen extreme).

the iPad has n 5ghz and the iphone has n 2.4ghz, was thinking of extending the ipads 5ghz since its used alot further from the router now (with the WRT54 G band i have now the ipad is getting 6Mbps where its mostly used, but closer to the Router it gets 20Mbps). of course if the 5GHz N for the ipad gets good speeds without the need of an repeater/extender then i'll just extend n2.4GHZ so i can use the iphone in the garage which is way far away from the router. i was also planning on comparing the extreme's 2.4ghz G band and 2.4ghz N band first cause i dont understand the difference between the two letters using the same 2.4 spectrum. either way i can play with them and learn something at the same time so it should be fun.

I frequently got skips and dropouts when streaming to my DAC. Went back to SB3 after that.

Well, that makes sense. Hopefully I'll not experience same. My last airport express worked without issue, thankfully, but then I got stupid and sold it.

Don't use the express as a repeater unless you really need it, because it'll slow down your whole network. Or extend the 2.4ghz network, and save the 5.8ghz network for higher speed use, and keep them separate (possible with the current gen extreme).

Sorry for the OT...Dan, what's the best way to extend an Apple Extreme N network? My experience with the Express for this purpose has been awful.

Any extension is going to slow the network down. Your best bet is to use the split network feature to have a faster network (The 5.8ghz band is best for this), and an extended network (the 2.4ghz). Otherwise, maybe another extreme, or just run wired ethernet for the distant location, and then put the express on that wire. When you run a wireless extension, you're cutting your bandwidth in half, so you get distance at the cost of speed.

Cowboom Deal of the Day - Apple Airport Extreme Wireless-N Base Station (MC340LL/A)

$90.00 plus shipping for a refurb current gen Airport Extreme!

Nice deal - if I wasn't already running a pair of the older 802.11n Extreme I'd consider this. I have one set as a 5Ghz 802.11 n-only. The other is set up as a 2.4 Ghz 802.11n/g/b for all the other non-n gear.