Deals

Dusty Chalk

WHS doesn't use RAID, it's more of a file level mirroring that can be enabled so it works fine even with the newer drives (which make up half of the drives in it). I'm guessing you're referring to WD's decision to disable the TLER functionality? I thought that they completely disabled it on the newer drives and it wasn't accessible anymore?

That's correct.

So are hackers having any progress re-enabling the functionality? Last I checked they were but admittedly I haven't kept up to date on it.

Last I had read, it was hit and miss depending on the SN drive you received. It seems that the newest SN drives aren't modifiable RE the TLER function in the FW.

I'm sick of the new trend of manufacturers using tricks to remove functionality from technology so that they can make money off of charging you more for something that was always included for free. They spent more money working on removing the features then just including them in the first place would have cost and then have the nerve to charge more for the exact same basic technology with the restrictions removed. Its abuse of the consumer to me. Way to go to the supreme court for making it clear that jail breaking devices is now officially legal. This BS needs to stop.

I have six Samsungs, three 1.5TBs and three 2TBs. I've been quite happy with them. They certainly have given me less of a headache than my (much more expensive) LaCies.

Yeah, I just did a 1 TB Mirror(Samsung) for my boot drive and was ordering 6 of these for a RAID 5 array

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG EcoGreen F3 HD203WI 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Agreed (cf. printer cartridges)

How about Hitachi, is this a good deal?

Hitachi 2TB for $109 before MIR with coupon code EMCYWNT35. It also has a $20 rebate, though it's in the form of a visa prepaid card. If you factor that in it's $89 after rebate. The rebate expires 9/2/10.

Newegg.com - HITACHI Deskstar H3IK20003272SP; 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb; Internal Hard Drive

Not quite a deal right now, but good to look out for when it comes out:

Microsoft brings back Windows 7 'family pack' | Beyond Binary - CNET News

Microsoft is bringing back the family three pack of Windows 7 for $150. They are upgrade licenses but you can do a clean install by following these instructions:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp