Deals

Dusty Chalk

Not sure if anyone is interested in trying out Hulu Plus but I ran across this deal where one can get 1 month instead of a 1 week trial (sponsored by Jet Blue). 

http://huluplus.com/trueblue

Remember folks, Hulu Plus gives you access to most films currently licensed by Criterion. 

http://www.hulu.com/movies/criterion

criterion-hulu.jpg

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

I read that this deal was supposed to end the 4th of Dec - Jambox for $129.99 shipped Amazon Prime (I used the head-case link to get there).  I don't think it was ever worth $199, but at $70 off it become more attractive.

http://www.amazon.com/Jawbone-JAMBOX-Wireless-Bluetooth-Speaker/dp/B004E10KI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354695621&sr=8-1&keywords=jambox+bluetooth+speaker

518mVaZIKQL._SL1000_.jpg

The Humble THQ Bundle just added Titan Quest and some Red Faction DLC for those who beat the average.  Below is a comment I wrote on reddit with my thoughts on TQ:

Oh, Titan Quest. There is so much I can say about that sodding game. First off, does the Bundle include the Immortal Throne expansion pack? If not, you're really going to want that. Besides the extra content it offers (which is nice), it includes a number of mechanical fixes, which greatly improve item management. It also applies some enhancements to the engine and removes a number of graphical glitches I experienced with the original TQ.

I bought the original TQ and the expansion back together during a previous Steam sale. Foolishly, I only installed TQ and beat the whole damn thing without even looking into Immortal Throne. Only when I installed IT did I realize how much pain and suffering I could have saved myself by installing both from the get-go.

As some of my Steam friends may remember, I originally wrote an excoriating review of TQ but then kept playing it for untold hours. A friend of mine asked me "what gives" and upon reflection I took down my old review and wrote a new one. Steam only allows 1000 characters for reviews, which is pretty limiting to someone who's as prone to verbosity as myself, but I did manage to sum up most of my thoughts on the game:

Titan Quest wants to be a fun hack n slash RPG in the style of Diablo. Sadly, it suffers from a host of issues that make it a flawed and frustrating game. Patient (stubborn) gamers who don't mind spending time grinding levels might enjoy it. It is well worth one's time to read up on a couple user-made FAQs and guides before starting. Picking the right skills is key, and the game has little advice on the subject. TQ offers a lot of gameplay for the price, but much of that will not precisely qualify as 'fun.' It takes a fair amount to time to get to a sufficiently high level and gather powerful enough gear to advance the main quest.

Torchlight is a more enjoyable and better looking game and I would heartily recommend it first. Bastion is better still and my top choice for the hack n slash genre. Having played those, TQ is not a bad game to pick up on sale, especially for a seasoned CRPG player with a stubborn streak. It does run pretty well on older hardware.

Yes, the above is my less venomous review. Keep in mind I did write that before I started in on Immortal Throne. Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoy the game and have played it for hours. TQ falls into the "flawed gem" category, which makes it at times immensely frustrating but also strangely compelling. The only reason I'm not still playing IT is that now have Torchlight II.

I like Bourdain. I've been on a No Reservations binge lately. It's always nice to see a series that hasn't been dumbed down or over-Americanized, and Bourdain himself has a ton of charisma. It's a good series if you need a vicarious living fix, and occasionally it does make you think. Great soundtrack too in a lot of episodes.

Try Spotify Premium, Free, For 30 Days!

http://www.spotify.com/us/freetrial/

spotify-logo.png

try-premium-large-title.png

Merry Xmas!

* If you do not cancel your subscription before the end of the free trial the credit card you provide will automatically be charged the Spotify Premium subscription fee of US $9.99 (plus applicable taxes) per month, until you cancel. You can cancel at any time by logging into your Spotify account and follow the cancellation instructions. No refunds or credits for partial monthly subscriptions period. For complete terms and conditions, please see our Terms of Service.