Deals

Dusty Chalk

I have the HF5's and they are quite nice.  Silly level of isolation and perfect for casual music listening. 

Funny story about them, my regular walks usually take me through the grounds of the presidential residence.  This is Iceland so no guards but the presidents chauffeur stopped me a while back for a chat (we know each other enough to say hi).  He said "I tried calling for you yesterday but you didn't reply.  I thought you were so full of yourself that you didn't want to chat!"  I showed him the HF5's and just how much they isolate...  :P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2016 at 8:03 PM, shellylh said:

By the way, there is a ER4 upgrade option on this page. 

"For a limited time you may upgrade from the ER4 microPro Earphones to the ER4SR or ER4XR Earphones. Details available soon."

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4-new.html

Unfortunately, not much of a deal for out-of-warranty ER4 (especially when you factor in the shipping cost to/from Etymotics).  I think I'll wait for the price on ER4SR/XR to come down and just keep my ER4S as a backup.

ER•4 Upgrade Options

Available July 1, 2016

On July 1, 2016, you will have an opportunity to upgrade your ER4 Earphones (ER4B, ER4P-T, ER4S) to the NEW ER4SR or ER4XR earphones.

• All purchases are new stock. No products have been opened, pre-owned or reconditioned.
  • This program is limited only to the ER•4 microPro Earphones (ER4B, ER4PT or ER4S). No exceptions.

Upgrade Option 1 
Purchases made within the last six months.

• If you purchased an ER4B, ER4P-T or ER4S in the last six months January 1, 2016 thru June 30, 2016 from an authorized Etymotic reseller, you can purchase the NEW ER4SR or ER4XR earphone for $75.
  • Original ER4 product must be returned.
  • Proof of purchase is required.
  • Valid for purchases made between January 1, 2016 and June 30, 2016.

Upgrade Option 2 
In-Warranty.

• If you purchased an ER4B, ER4P-T or ER4S from an authorized Etymotic reseller within the 2-year warranty period, you can purchase the NEW ER•4SR or ER4XR earphones for $225.
  • Proof of purchase is required.
  • Valid for in-warranty product only. If it’s determined that your original ER4 earphone is not covered under warranty (add warranty policy link here), you can purchase a new ER4SR or ER4XR earphone as outlined in Option 3.

Upgrade Option 3 
Out-of-Warranty.

• If you own an ER4B, ER4P-T or ER4S, you can purchase the NEW ER4XR or ER4SR earphones for $275.
  • Proof of purchase not required.
  • Customer-damaged or modified products that are not covered under Etymotic's warranty policy are eligible for this upgrade option.

Shipping charges

Shipping charges and tax apply (where applicable).

Shipping is calculated by UPS based on shipping from Etymotic Research (Zip Code 60007) to the delivery address on the order. All available shipping options for your order are presented in the cart. Actual delivery times are at the discretion of UPS. Tracking information from UPS will be emailed to the email address listed on the order when the order is shipped. You are responsible for Customs Fees which are not included in the shipping charges. Etymotic Research does not have control over these charges and cannot estimate what they may be.

Edited by Salt Peanuts
  • Like 3

Thanks Haj.  I'll likely get the new ones anyway, I really like what I'm reading about them; and I'll keep my older 4P's for a backup.  I may wait and see if they go on Amazon soon, I have a gift card credit from Father's Day!

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Salt Peanuts said:

Unfortunately, not much of a deal for out-of-warranty ER4 (especially when you factor in the shipping cost to/from Etymotics).  I think I'll wait for the price on ER4SR/XR to come down and just keep my ER4S as a backup.

This!

I may get a pair of the ER4SR.  I wonder if they did anything to quiet down the cord.  It's too bad they didn't make them more comfortable.  I hate that the ER4 stick so far out of the ears. 

Ok, here is what EtyDave says about the new cable: 

"The cable material is different than the older model.  It's a bit softer and more supple (*cough* marketing term) than the old cable so it feels nicer in the hand than the old cable.  Preliminary feedback has been people feel it's slightly less microphonic.

But realistically, the earphone still seals deep in the bony portion of the ear canal, which doesn't help microphonics.  As before, using the shirt clip will help, as will wrapping them over the ear (which is slightly easier than before because we modified the angle of the strain relief)."

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 1

I am really getting itchy about getting some ER4SR or XR. Not quite the deal starting from nothing but I have grown sick and tired of my crappy bose ANC earphones. They isolate great and are comfy but that really is it. Built as great as every other pos Bose makes, that is one of the drivers rattling during heavy when under stress from anc circuit, iPhone controls busted after a few months etc... I'd rather listen to my apple EarPods than this if it wasn't for the isolation.

I tested ER4P (I think) and thought it was a bargain in the midsts of 1kUSD iems. 3 years later I think the average price fotm iems is more like 1.5kUSD to 2k so that makes me even more tempted to just go the single BA old-fashioned way ;-).

From reading, it sounds like the new ones are better-sounding; the praise seems pretty much unanimous, thinking beyond FOTM type of enthusiasm.

I'm definitely going to get a pair (most likely the SR's), but yeah if I can avoid retail cost somehow I'll do that.  Sale, or using my gift balance @ Amazon....not in a rush.

I'm still going to get it too. For one, I appreciate the company and how they are keeping prices reasonable, unlike most of the others. So, I don't mind rewarding that. My ER4S is old. I wouldn't mind a new one, and it appears to hit even closer to neutral. 

Its not a reasonable upgrade, but very few of my audio purchases make financial sense. So, Ima get the SR. Also, no rush, hoping for a discount. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, morphsci said:

Yep, ordered one and it will be here Saturday.

I need a DAC with a USB input for work so I placed an order as well. Probably will get here early next week.  Is the ZDAC really that good for the price?

:(  USB is capped at 24/96.

Edited by purk