Deals

Dusty Chalk

On 6/12/2016 at 8:03 PM, shellylh said:

By the way, there is a ER4 upgrade option on this page. 

"For a limited time you may upgrade from the ER4 microPro Earphones to the ER4SR or ER4XR Earphones. Details available soon."

http://www.etymotic.com/consumer/earphones/er4-new.html

This is all very timely. I got on a plane last week to find that only one side of my 14 year old etys worked anymore. They still blocked the engine noise, though.

Ooo. I just talked to Etymotic, and it looks like these are repairable for about $50. Even better. After all this time, I had no idea that the cables just popped out. They won't send me a new cable, but they will attach one for me which is good enough I suppose. The reality is that I almost never listen to music on planes, the only place I use these phones, so getting the upgrades is not going to make NPR sound any better.

On 7/14/2016 at 3:37 PM, morphsci said:

24/96 is fine with me since no one has ever convinced me that I can hear a difference between 24/96 and 24/192.

Fixed that for me.

On 7/14/2016 at 11:14 AM, purk said:

I need a DAC with a USB input for work so I placed an order as well. Probably will get here early next week.  Is the ZDAC really that good for the price?

I've been going back and forth between NuForce and HRT.  They both have entries with 24/192 capabilities.

7 hours ago, morphsci said:

24/96 is fine with me since no one has ever convinced me that they can hear a difference between 16/44 and 24/anything.

The reason that I prefer to have 24/192 via USB is because of the convenience since I have several albums in 176.4, 192, and DSD.  I also plan to use my zx2 to USB digital out to the ZDAC and my zx2 downconverts DSD signal to 24/176.4.  

On 7/14/2016 at 4:15 PM, dsavitsk said:

Ooo. I just talked to Etymotic, and it looks like these are repairable for about $50.

Turns out the damage was a bit more severe than a bad cable. They could still be repaired for less than the cost of a new pair, but not enough less that it seemed worth it. So new Etys are on the way. Woo Hoo?

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2014 at 1:04 PM, shellylh said:

What type of Bar Keepers Friend do you use for pans, the "Soft Cleanser" or "Cookware Cleanser"?

http://retail.barkeepersfriend.com/Texas

I got the pan but perhaps I messed it up a bit.  I followed the directions on the pan for a beginning seasoning since I didn't have time to do your full seasoning.  I used some vinegar and hot water to clean it (since I had a bit of rust on the pan and no Bar Keepers Friend).  Then I put some corn oil (I didn't have any Crisco) since that is what I have used on my cast iron pans and heated it up until it smoked.   The problem is that I heated it up too long and now there is burn sticky corn oil residue on the bottom in some places.  So I am thinking I should start over with some Bar Keepers Friend.  Is there a reason to use Crisco over other vegetable oil?  I never keep Crisco in the house.  The corn oil I have is not "refined" so maybe its smoking point is too low. 

Edit:  It seems that people just use the regular BKF powder cleanser for cookware and there isn't much difference between that and the more expensive "cookware." 

Cool, Shelly quoted Jacob's instruction in this post.  Saving to a text file...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...