Deals

Dusty Chalk

Have watched a few videos (including a rambling Quincy Jones one and another preoccupied that it didn’t have a USB-C port when developed in 2015) and its seems like it’s hit this price point before. Not surprising the reviews at $1500 and $300 are different. Some are more critical of the analog input than Tyll (though he also addresses). Seems you may need to limit output settings to it (saw a AKG response to a OS X question recommending 16/44.1 at one point). Still so tempting. 

Edited by blessingx

• 2 months later...

The originals are a steal at their closeout price, and Doug's DSHA-3F does nothing but bring out their best.  A local brick and mortar store was closing out their stock of original Clears for $899; they were down to one.  I put in an order for the Clear Mg, waiting for that to come in so I can try it.

• Like 1

Yeah I think headphones.com was able to do a special deal w/ Focal where they had one final run of the original Clears and they bought the whole run.  Definitely a great price, easily the best phones you can get at that $1k price.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, blessingx said:

How do these compare to say a Drop $1100 HD8XX? 

Very different sounding headphones.  The Clear are punchy and more balanced.  The HD8XX appears to be an even brighter version of the HD800S, so big soundstage and too much treble.

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2021 at 1:16 PM, RudeWolf said:

I'm kinda leery of buying Focal cans because pads are either unavailable or freakishly expensive. Which I hate, because the headphones are very good.

I think Dekoni makes pads for Focal cans right? They could be a viable alternative. 

The Utopia pads last quite a bit longer than the HD800's that need replacing every 2 years or so. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tkam said:

Very different sounding headphones.  The Clear are punchy and more balanced.  The HD8XX appears to be an even brighter version of the HD800S, so big soundstage and too much treble.

Thank you. I don't think there was ever a strong reason to get the HD8XX when I already had the HD800 (with old man's ears mod), but between what you said and Tyll's 2017 review, just cancelled and Headphones order in. 

• Like 1