Deals

Dusty Chalk

Ikea has launched a collaboration with Swedish Mafia, and...

...IT'S ALL BLACK...

...AND it's largely targeted at the vinyl collecting crowd:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/products/?q=Obegränsad

@Knuckledraggerin particular, take note -- looks like a nice record bag for $3.99.

I'm going to get the throw and wear it like a robe.  and the slippers

Maybe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone jumping on the Audeze sale? 

https://www.audeze.com/products/promo-2022?utm_source=B-Stock Sale 

EDIT: Well, I almost did. 20 minutes of trying to get into an existing account, that seemed not to exist until I created a new one with same email address, which then listed past orders so existing, ended up with a sold out LCD3 Zebrawood at payment stage. Damn. Oh well.  $1K for photography gear I guess. ;)

Edited by blessingx
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, blessingx said:

Anyone jumping on the Audeze sale? 

https://www.audeze.com/products/promo-2022?utm_source=B-Stock Sale 

EDIT: Well, I almost did. 20 minutes of trying to get into an existing account, that seemed not to exist until I created a new one with same email address, which then listed past orders so existing, ended up with a sold out LCD3 Zebrawood at payment stage. Damn. Oh well.  $1K for photography gear I guess. ;)

The LCD 5 is still available. Let us know how it sounds. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Audiophile Society has a free download of WAV files sampler with Chesky & other music and mixed using "3D Mega-Dimensional Sound" techniques.

https://theaudiophilesociety.com/products/the-audiophile-society-welcome-sampler-wav-download

Downloaded but haven't listened yet....

Edited by skullguise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skullguise said:

The Audiophile Society has a free download of WAV files sampler with Chesky & other music and mixed using "3D Mega-Dimensional Sound" techniques.

https://theaudiophilesociety.com/products/the-audiophile-society-welcome-sampler-wav-download

Downloaded but haven't listened yet....

the speaker mixes through headphones sounds absolutely terrible, artificial and very very strange sounding bass, absolutely horrible, imaging is all over the place sounds like someone has strapped the worlds worst setup sub woofer behind you.

Headphones mix sounds ok. But there is nothing pure acoustic and simple, like solo piano or voice to listen to... just sounds too showy. The Strauss trebble end is slightly bright and hard, bottom end of the bass is rather boomy and feels compressed in the middle, completely lacks micro dynamics... sounds like its mastered to be played really loud, apart from the lack of tape hiss I don't find it in any way batter to sympathetically transferred 1960s analogue recordings.

Aayushi Karnik - Solid Ground (headphone mix) the voice is just lost in the mix sounds like the singer is behind a curtain far far behind the main instruments.

Mark Sherman & Joe Magnarelli - Suddenly (headphone mix) piano sounds strange, again bass boom and sounds electronically processed..

Paloma - Ode to Joy (headphone mix) her voice sounds like she's shouting down your ear the peaks in her voice are mildly painful.

EX38 - Ring No. 5 (headphone mix) WTF I cant tell how much is the electronically generated instruments and how much of it is the effect of the recording. Feels like im trapped inside sampled midi instrument hell.

none of the tracks have a sense of natural acoustic, are dry or artificially dried but then warmed up with excessive bass and reverb to simulate an acoustic. I think this is just another example of electronic fuckery like the short lived DG 3D sound processing on a few classical cds... its not about natural sound its about lots of sounds....

Edited by jamesmking
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Should you be in the Apple ecosystem there's a pretty large $4.99 movie sale going on right now with Apple TV. Not sure how to link directly so just launch the app and go to Store/$4.99 Movies by Decade. 

Just picked up Sideways, Ran, Citizen Kane, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Tree of Life, Lawrence of Arabia, French Connection, It Happened One Night, Branagh's Hamlet, Bram Stroker's Dracula, The Searchers, On the Waterfront, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Taxi Driver, Bad News Bears, and... Logan's Run. 

• Like 4