R.I.P. Eric Dolphy

Thelonious Monk

He would've been 80 today. If only those silly German doctors knew he was diabetic...

489px-Eric_Dolphy.jpg

---

Recommended Dolphania:

Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch

Eric Dolphy - Other Aspects

Eric Dolphy - Live at the Five Spot

John Coltrane - The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard

Charles Mingus - The Great Concert Of Charles Mingus

Charles Mingus - Mingus at Antibes

Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz

Chico Hamilton - Gongs East!

Andrew Hill - Point Of Departure

The man was a fucking genius.

well duh.

That was sort of beside the point.

@_@

I'm not gonna list every single Eric Dolphy album I've heard, that'd be silly.

You guys take things too literally.

I was about to post only the HB ED part when he decided to act condescending and dickish unnecessarily. That's all. If nobody else thinks it is dickish, then my bad.

I was about to post only the HB ED part when he decided to act condescending and dickish unnecessarily. That's all. If nobody else thinks it is dickish, then my bad.

I don't understand how any of those comments are condescending. If I came off that way, I apologize.

Thanks for taking a big steamy shit all over my honest thread, though, guys! Good form. :D

He has gone undetected, but my jazz radar isn't very sensitive. I will correct this.

:)

If you're more into bop, I recommend his album with Booker Little, Far Cry, as a starting point. If you're into more avant-garde jazz, Out to Lunch is his magnum opus. IMO it wasn't until Out to Lunch that his compositional talent really made itself apparent, but he was a master of the alto saxophone, flute and (bass) clarinet for years before that. Coltrane referred to him as "his only musical equal." He may be an even better sax player. If you want to judge for yourself, they play together on The Complete 1961 Village Vanguard Sessions, and it is magic.