Aeolus magiDAC

Cankin

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, no that makes you strong ... or I'm weak too.

BTW, the person I talked with previously thought USB was probably a SP/DIF conversion, but he was going to confirm and email me. I haven't heard anything since then so I think we should assume that's so.

Yeah we had several people hear the prototype at the NorCal meet last weekend, and most seemed impressed (especially with the price). With the time consuming nature of the meet and leaving town immediately after, not to mention two of the three inputs missing on the prototype which made it a little difficult with most of my gear on hand, I was unable to do serious listening with it before it went back. It's certainly a smooth, pleasant sound that beats its price-point. I want to run it through the tests though on staging and detail before commenting further. Soon.

Looking forward to production units arriving (in the end I ordered two). I guess the earlier mentioned faceplate issues delayed a little longer than expected, but like mapstec I was told they'll be shipping tomorrow.

I also seen the normal price has now increased $15, but that's not bad ... and makes the earlier discount $70 off. ;)

There's also a little dialog on it over at AV123.

Does the word "Vapourware" have any meaning?

The Dac according to the web site ships out in 2-3 days...

And has for quite some time now... No-one has seen the beast and at least for my order shipping has been delayed 4 times now, always to the next day, or the day after ....

I WANT MY DAC!

Sorry.... Just needed to vent my frustration...

Well, I IMed them today to get an update since a shipping notice wasn't sent on Thursday as expected. They said the corrected faceplates were received Monday and they were assembling the cases today and sending orders out tomorrow and next day. On the plus side since the full-price has gone up higher than originally listed, the intro sale is even a better deal and in the end even though a few deadlines passed, combined not much time has actually passed (not counting weekends or holiday). Hopefully we'll have them soon.

blessingx, did you get an update?

On the 8th I got the blanket mail that they would start shipping that day...

On the 10th I still did not see an update to my order (basically on the third day that they said they were shipping).

I am now basically at the stage where I want to hate the product when it arrives (if it arrives?)...

I don't mind the delay so much as the runaround we are giving... "We are shipping on Thursday", but they don't tell us which week...

Last I heard is that there was a slight variation in aesthetics between the final approved rear plate and the productions (which fortunately is just from a foundry down the street - they said they're trying to keep much of the production in the US) and they "wanted it to look perfect." That created another slight delay, but that they started shipping Wednesday and are sending out batches each day. That they were sorry for the delays, but plan to work through the weekend to catchup on all pre-orders by early next week. I've been checking daily and haven't received notice on mine shipping. I don't know how far down the line I am.

I'm being patient, and that now $70 difference between ordering price and current will keep me so for a bit longer. My fear is that with some possible gear changes I'm expecting I may need an optical input which would put a kink in this purchase, but I want to hear the magiDAC first.

I did notice the description in some places now lists this as magiDAC v1. They mentioned earlier an updated version was planned though it would likely increase a decent amount in price.

And it's probably important to remember this place ships a decent amount of gear members of sites like HF have received so the 'if' wondering is likely unnecessary.

Well, they've missed another deadline, but I've been assured today they should have all pre-order, non-custom transformer orders out by Friday. I asked if they were confident of this date and he said 'yes'. Mapstec hopefully you'll be notified of shipment in the next two days.

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha guys,

Thanks for your enthusiasm and curiosity for the product. :)

Sorry for the awkward delays, new products always take longer than you think they will..... It's not vaporware, I can assure you.

To answer some questions:

Balanced outputs.

YES. Basically, they already are. The RCA outs are connected straight to the transformer secondary. Perhaps an XLR output could be an option. Or you could use an RCA to XLR cable.

USB: The USB chip outputs SPDIF, which is then sent to the receiver chip where it is reclocked and reformatted before being sent to the DAC chip. Coax and XLR go straight to the receiver chip, then the DAC.

How do I know? I designed the silly thing! :P

It does sound best with battery power supply, but the normal 12V supply isn't bad either. I've been a fan of transformer coupled circuits in Hi-Fi and pro audio for years, that's why I built this one.

Have I heard better? Well, yes, but not at anywhere near the price.

I hope some other guys enjoy it, too.

I am soooo happy with audio magus - not!

I received my tracking no on the 20th - item shipped on the 19th... so why does the tracking say that the item was "accepted" on the 28th?

I mean, 9 days from printing the sticker to the actual post office...

Aloha guys,

Thanks for your enthusiasm and curiosity for the product. :)

Sorry for the awkward delays, new products always take longer than you think they will..... It's not vaporware, I can assure you.

I hope some other guys enjoy it, too.

Believe me, it is not for lack of wanting to...

It's shipping from hawaii, there's a good chance that the problems happened at the post office, not at aeolus.

Hmm, Poulsbo, Washington (98370) is the post office and incidentally the address for Audiomagus...

Again, I have no problem with them having problems and thus taking longer, I have a problem with misinformation (did not want to call it lying in writing).

I simply want my DAC (a product that according to the manufacturer / seller is available, not on backorder or anything!) and be happy with it, and not wait and see what the delay is "this time"...

I just have learned to not pay attention to what the post office says about tracking. If the number they gave you on the 20th is the one that shows up in tracking, and eventually makes it to you, I'd place the blame on the post office. They're slow, but almost always deliver. It's just a feature.

Hmm, Poulsbo, Washington (98370) is the post office and incidentally the address for Audiomagus...

Again, I have no problem with them having problems and thus taking longer, I have a problem with misinformation (did not want to call it lying in writing).

I simply want my DAC (a product that according to the manufacturer / seller is available, not on backorder or anything!) and be happy with it, and not wait and see what the delay is "this time"...

Don't ever order anything from Singlepower.