Koss ESP/950 electrostat thread

deepak

An update in case anyone thought my impressions from last night were rushed.

I've continued to compare the Omega 2 MK1 and the ESP/950 and I still greatly prefer the Omega 2 for every type of music. The Omega 2 can really rock out. And I'm seriously under amping the Stax at this time, so it's not like this isn't a fair fight.

I should state that I've always sort of been a one headphone/speaker type of person, my mind is probably too slow to adjust to different/worse signatures and I really just prefer sticking to something I really like.

How much will it cost me to find a set of speakers that sound like the Stax and are as resolving? Good thing I don't have any other expensive hobbies :sadcat:

Considering I have not heard Staxen, and I highly doubt it is what you are looking for:

The fanboy in me must recommend KEF :prettyprincess:

I definitely think the ESP/950 drivers have a lot of potential, I'd love to hear them in an enclosure where they sit a bit further from the ear and maybe slightly angled?

But the Omega 2 MK1 remain my king of headphones ATM ;D

I would keep the drivers where they are as that glorified voltage multiplier Koss calls an amp is destroying the soundstage. They aren't Sigmas by any means but can throw some.

The SR-007 Mk1 will be the king for quite a while is Stax doesn't fix the Mk2...

How much will it cost me to find a set of speakers that sound like the Stax and are as resolving? Good thing I don't have any other expensive hobbies :sadcat:

Quad ELS57 or 63 would be my first choice. You can find them cheap but a properly restored pair is the way to go. They work well in any room (designed for the small UK living rooms) and when fed well really shine. There is the same crap out there about the Quads as is said about ESP's so go listen to the new models and decide for yourself.

Hrm what are the differences between mark 1 and mark 2 for the O2s? As far as sound.

Which should I get?

Also what do you use your beta22 for spritzer? Did you build it yourself?

Get the Mk1 as it is better to my ears. The Mk2 is impressive sounding but more forward and has a bass hump which drove me mad. Even modified they aren't as good as my Mk1.

I use my B22 to drive ortho and iso dynamics but after a few mods it will drive Stax as well. It was built by n_maher

Add Stax transformers, a three way switch (headphones, speakers and Stax) plus some other minor stuff. Nothing major but since I will be short an amp soon it will come in handy.

Hey fucker, that's my idea!! :P

I'm going to do that exact same thing. I even have some nice wood set aside for a faceplate. Mine will be an all in one for Stax P/N Sony, K1k and Ortho.

Cool, can't wait to see it. I've got a two channel beta at home right now that I can't quite decide what to do with that might be ripe for similar treatment for the ESP's. :)

The bias supply is easy to deal with as the Stax SRD-7 Mk2 works perfectly well and is cheap to build. It's also runs directly of the wall voltage so no issues there. The transformers are a problem though as the old Stax units aren't good enough but I have a few cheap-ish alternatives lined up that might work well and even drive the SR-007.

Hey fucker, that's my idea!! :P

I'm going to do that exact same thing. I even have some nice wood set aside for a faceplate. Mine will be an all in one for Stax P/N Sony, K1k and Ortho.

I'm sorry... :eek: Where do I send the royalty checks?

Don Spritz, I can delete Smegg's post so it dun' look like nobody messin' with yer idear :D (jk Smeggy)

Quad ELS57 or 63 would be my first choice. You can find them cheap but a properly restored pair is the way to go. They work well in any room (designed for the small UK living rooms) and when fed well really shine. There is the same crap out there about the Quads as is said about ESP's so go listen to the new models and decide for yourself.

But would the vintage Quads give me the bass depth, quantity, slam and definition of the Omega 2? Sounds like a hard thing to do from anything less than Ray Kimber's size estat panels.

Don Spritz, I can delete Smegg's post so it dun' look like nobody messin' with yer idear :D (jk Smeggy)

;)

But would the vintage Quads give me the bass depth, quantity, slam and definition of the Omega 2? Sounds like a hard thing to do from anything less than Ray Kimber's size estat panels.

The Quads do have plenty of bass and the newer, taller speakers will overpower most rooms but you need a Sound Lab or a triple stacked ESL to get something close to what the SR-007 drivers achieve in a small space. I would go out and listen to a set of Quads if you can and even M-L's.

The M-L's are all meh at best but the CLS did show some signs of greatness and at 2k$ or less used they are a good buy but the Quads are better.

The CLX is way too expensive and the Apogees should be very good but small scale of manufacturing really bumps up the price along with the magnets.