Koss ESP/950 electrostat thread

deepak

...just because the E/90 amp sucks? I don't know yet.

Sucks is a pretty big understatement here... :o

I don't know, maybe I'll build one myself. The guy from whom I bought the KGSS threw a Stax extension cable in the package, and I don't use it, so I might just build an adapter with that. It will look very ghetto though. There's also webbie64 from Australia who wanted to lend me his pair of ESP/950, but I guess he could just lend me the adapter now that I've bought the Koss.

Did you try them with an adapter yet?

webbie64's set has been recabled by APS but an adapter is easy to make. The WPI connectors are back in stock at Allied so just order up a Koss extension cable and start soldering.

:prettyprincess: I have a 5 pin male connector headed my way. I'll hack up my spare extension and try it with the SRD7-pro.

Can you tell me the part number? I've been looking on Allied Electronics and the only thing I see that would perhaps work is a 6-pin microphone connector with locking jack...

Can you tell me the part number? I've been looking on Allied Electronics and the only thing I see that would perhaps work is a 6-pin microphone connector with locking jack...

I'm not sure, I got mine from Fitz. It's an Amphenol and not WPI.

I'm just looking myself and the parts appear to be these, though I'm likely about to get shot down.

Male: Male

Female: Female

That male connector doesn't look right. At least from that view it looks like one of the pins is in the center, which won't work...

And the data sheet points to a catalog more than a technical data sheet.

It'd be amusing to make a stax to koss adapter, so you can run O2s off the koss amp :)

:laugh: someone should start that FOTM

Allied Electronics part numbers

78-S6S is the socket

86-71-6S is the plug

It'd be amusing to make a stax to koss adapter, so you can run O2s off the koss amp :)

Been there done that... I wouldn't recommend it though as it sounds horrible. The Koss unit is the ultimate statement that voltage swing isn't everything.

I'm also considering doing that, but I read a post somewhere (I think it was KG) which said the recable was hard because of glue inside or something like that. Also, it would be my first recable and I'm hesitant to do that on 500$ headphones...

recable is easy and sounds much better than the adapter. That coupled with the 620v bias is what gets me excited about these phones.

recable is easy and sounds much better than the adapter. That coupled with the 620v bias is what gets me excited about these phones.

Recabling sounds like an interesting option, but wouldn't it void the Koss warranty? With the common problems that these phones have, I need the lifetime warranty.

About the 620v, I'd like to experiment that someday. From what I understand, very few people have tried the ESP950 at this bias and those who did like it very much.

Recabling sounds like an interesting option, but wouldn't it void the Koss warranty? With the common problems that these phones have, I need the lifetime warranty.

About the 620v, I'd like to experiment that someday. From what I understand, very few people have tried the ESP950 at this bias and those who did like it very much.

nope, won't void the warantee. it is indeed no questions asked. Just remove the cable before you send it in (or you won't get it back), no need to reattach the old one.

Cool, I'm currently in the process of removing the stock cable. The little screws and incredibly tight, I'm worried it'll break the plastic every time I remove one of them.

I was planning to do a Koss to Stax adapter, but since I'm doing the recable, I'll do a Stax to Koss adapter when I receive the Stax socket and I'll be able to use the E/90 if I feel like it.

I successfully completed the recable with the Stax extension cable. Let's just say that out the KGSS, it's a totally different world than with the E/90. I won't do much listening tonight because I'm tired and will go to sleep soon, but I'll try to put some impressions tomorrow. Unfortunately, I think some dust infiltrated the right driver and I get an annoying squeal, I'll also have to investigate that tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I think some dust infiltrated the right driver and I get an annoying squeal, I'll also have to investigate that tomorrow.

Might not be dust but the terminals on the driver arcing. If it is indeed dust then taking the driver apart and blowing gently on the diaphragm and stators (remove any residual charge first by shorting the Stax plug) should get rid of the particle.