Koss ESP/950 electrostat thread

deepak

I successfully completed the recable with the Stax extension cable. Let's just say that out the KGSS, it's a totally different world than with the E/90. I won't do much listening tonight because I'm tired and will go to sleep soon, but I'll try to put some impressions tomorrow. Unfortunately, I think some dust infiltrated the right driver and I get an annoying squeal, I'll also have to investigate that tomorrow.

Damn detailed impressions please :o

A temp fix for the squeal (if it's just dust) is gently tapping on the housing. This worked with my old pair I sent in to Koss.

Might not be dust but the terminals on the driver arcing. If it is indeed dust then taking the driver apart and blowing gently on the diaphragm and stators (remove any residual charge first by shorting the Stax plug) should get rid of the particle.

I just opened the cup and don't see any dust. I tried tapping on the cup and shaking it gently, but the squeal is still there. If the problem is due to arcing between the terminals, is there any way to fix the problem by myself?

I just opened the cup and don't see any dust. I tried tapping on the cup and shaking it gently, but the squeal is still there. If the problem is due to arcing between the terminals, is there any way to fix the problem by myself?

The gap between the stator and diaphragm is only 0.5mm and the dust can be much smaller then the to cause a nasty squeal. It is also on the inside of the driver so you have to take it apart completely. One question though... when you were soldering the wires, did you have the drivers completely covered so no excess flux could burn its way through it?

The gap between the stator and diaphragm is only 0.5mm and the dust can be much smaller then the to cause a nasty squeal. It is also on the inside of the driver so you have to take it apart completely. One question though... when you were soldering the wires, did you have the drivers completely covered so no excess flux could burn its way through it?

Yes, the drivers were covered.

That removes one nasty possibility. Didn't you just split open the housing and replace the cable or did you remove the drivers as well? I don't see how dust could infiltrate it if you just opened up the housing.

Yes, I just opened the housing. One thing though that I didn't mention, the squeal was there when I first received the pair, but very very small and not permanent. Now, the squeal is there all the time on the right driver. I might just send it to Koss and get a brand new pair.

Yes, I just opened the housing. One thing though that I didn't mention, the squeal was there when I first received the pair, but very very small and not permanent. Now, the squeal is there all the time on the right driver. I might just send it to Koss and get a brand new pair.

This was the same problem with my first pair. It manifested itself maybe 20-30% of the time music was playing. No squeal whatsoever now.

Anyway this was in a message Marc sent me (I hope you don't mind me posting this :) )

good luck with the squeal. It can be fixed, the problem is just a poor arrangement of the leads going to the stators. You'll get the new 2007 drivers like I did though

i.e. arcing between the wires. Try to arrange the wires for maximum separation and even insulate the terminals or just remove the cable and send the phones to Koss.

You're saying I can send the phones to Koss without any cable and they'll replace them no questions asked?

• 1 month later...
Guest troymadison
Cannibalize the amp?

Without actually destroying the amplifier either. I'm trying to make a esp950 to stax pro adapter and I found the Stax connector I need, but I can't seem to find an esp950 connector. Unfortunately, I don't feel like spending $150 just to get an adapter from APS so I rather just make one myself.

I enjoyed the 950 out of my 007t this weekend, even though I didn't have time for detailed listening. It is pretty forward for a 'stat but that was also in part because it was in comparison to the Sigma normal bias model I was checking out too. To my ears, the Sigma sounded under-powered and a bit diffuse in the mid-range. The vocals were set back in the mix and were too soft. the 950 has a lot of bass, also. I am going to try to borrow these off JP before he flips them. :D

Guest troymadison
You could have a connector made for you, I suppose.

I suppose so too. I know some people that posted in this thread used this kind of adapter so I am inclined to see what they used.

Guest troymadison
I enjoyed the 950 out of my 007t this weekend, even though I didn't have time for detailed listening. It is pretty forward for a 'stat but that was also in part because it was in comparison to the Sigma normal bias model I was checking out too. To my ears, the Sigma sounded under-powered and a bit diffuse in the mid-range. The vocals were set back in the mix and were too soft. the 950 has a lot of bass, also. I am going to try to borrow these off JP before he flips them. :D

I have a good feeling I'm going to like the ESP950. Now, how did you magically use your ESP950 with your 007t? If you built this cable, where did you get the parts? If you bought it from somebody, whom did you buy it from?

I have a good feeling I'm going to like the ESP950. Now, how did you magically use your ESP950 with your 007t? If you built this cable, where did you get the parts? If you bought it from somebody, whom did you buy it from?

Most people in this thread either:

1. reterminated a Koss extension cable with an OEM 5 pin connector

2. recabled the headphones with a Stax cable

3. bought the APS adapter

Why don't you want to do number 1 again? A spare extension cable from Koss is under $15.

Guest troymadison
Most people in this thread either:

1. reterminated a Koss extension cable with an OEM 5 pin connector

2. recabled the headphones with a Stax cable

3. bought the APS adapter

Why don't you want to do number 1 again? A spare extension cable from Koss is under $15.

Good you mentioned this. I had no idea I could get this cable from Koss. I believe I have everything I need now. Thank you guys very much.

Guest troymadison
I thought the big joe + k1000 combination was the best possible headphone setup ever? Why did you sell it?

I loved it until I listened to my MB Quart QP55x and I stopped using the AKG K1000 after that. Things change I guess. I still think they are the best headphone I've ever listened to for some particular genres. I do miss them and if they ever do come back in production, I'll buy it again maybe.