Koss ESP/950 electrostat thread

deepak

Yes! yes! You should :) I especially need help with amp section :(

I'll see if I can make some time for that. I need to have my stash of Stax brochures at hand so I can't do it "while working" :D

It shows the stax plug, but not how it references the wires, like on the koss diagram.

I'm sure our helpful Wikiphonia admin could add it to the side. The Stax cable is:

+ B - - B +

Ok, so I have 0 complaints about the 950s with the SRM1/mk2. I'll be more critical at some point I'm sure, but I could easily live with this setup as my only setup.

Sweet, I remember how surprised I was when I first heard the ESP950 out of the KGSS. Too bad these cans have a bad rep due to the crappy stock amp because they are truly able to shine under decent amplification.

• 2 weeks later...
FWIW, I sent my Koss ESP950 to the factory 2 weeks ago without any cable attached for a buzzing problem in one of the drivers. I'll report back when they get home. Worst case, if they don't want to replace it, I'll just solder back the original cable and send the phones again.

any word on this yet?

any word on this yet?

Funny that you mention this, I just came back home and I had a message from Koss Corporation on the answering machine. The lady said that I need to send the whole package, including the "transmitter" (in her own words :P) and everything that was included with the headphones in order for them to apply the warranty. I had just sent the headphones, but I guess they need everything.

Doesn't bother me too much, I've been quite busy at university lately and don't have much time for headphone listening. Hopefully, it will also give time to Justin to deliver my Pico.

I don't think that it is at all reasonable for them to expect that on a product with a lifetime warranty that owners would keep everything. I'd call them back and tell them that they are insane and to just replace the headphones. jpnums just went through a similar situation and I don't think he sent them any more than just the headphones.

I hope that doesn't include the leather bag.

Dunno, but I'll send everything just to make sure that they don't call me again. I find it weird that they just can't replace the headphones alone in the first place, I might actually give them a call to understand why.

Dunno, but I'll send everything just to make sure that they don't call me again. I find it weird that they just can't replace the headphones alone in the first place, I might actually give them a call to understand why.

They can't because they think the amp might have an issue as well and if they fix the phones and the amp is still bad you will send it all back to them. So I understand them. They don't know you are using Stax amp :P

They can't because they think the amp might have an issue as well and if they fix the phones and the amp is still bad you will send it all back to them. So I understand them. They don't know you are using Stax amp :P

Good point. Although I don't have a Stax amp at the moment, I've used the ESP950 mostly with a KGSS and SRD-7 Mk2. Probably would have sold the phones if I didn't hear them with a quality amp.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine have been suffering on and off from a high pitched squeal in the right channel (much more on than off0. It's reached the point where I want to start over with them so in they go for warranty repair tomorrow. I'm sending everything in with them and hopefully they'll live up to their claimed 72 hour turn around time.

Mine have been suffering on and off from a high pitched squeal in the right channel (much more on than off0. It's reached the point where I want to start over with them so in they go for warranty repair tomorrow. I'm sending everything in with them and hopefully they'll live up to their claimed 72 hour turn around time.

Not exactly my experience. :P

I'll be jealous if you send them the package tomorrow and receive your pair before mine, I've been waiting for a long while. Looks like the high pitch squeal happens almost on every pair documented here or on Head-fi, I hope the newest revisions of the model will fix this.

The new pair I received back didn't have the squeal. I put about 50 hours on them to make sure, and there was no sign of it.

It definitely wasn't 72 hours with me. Probably closer to three weeks not including the transit time to Koss. Though everyone at their customer service are very friendly and courteous.