Koss ESP/950 electrostat thread

deepak

A simple question, is there a charge up issue when using the E/90?

Spritzer, can you tell me when and where this ESP950 I got from you was originally bought?

All these headphones are just a blur to me but I think I bought them about a year ago from Mapstec who had the recable work done.

2. How do I explain the missing cable? I know it says "no questions asked" limited warrantee, but it's like, how do I know the drivers take a while to charge if there is no cable? Shouldn't I explain something like, "the old cable had a short so it was replaced last year with a Stax cable and adapter to use with the E90 which could not be returned with the ESP950".

It's really "no questions asked", mine didn't have any cable attached and the only thing I inserted in the box other than the headphones themselves (edit: I mean the whole package, not just the headphones) was a check. I got back a brand new set. Seriously, I think you worry too much about the situation, Koss customer service has a good reputation and they will just replace your phones. If it was a Singlepower amp, on the other hand... ;D

Edited by GPH

It's really "no questions asked", mine didn't have any cable attached and the only thing I inserted in the box other than the headphones themselves (edit: I mean the whole package, not just the headphones) was a check. I got back a brand new set. Seriously, I think you worry too much about the situation, Koss customer service has a good reputation and they will just replace your phones. If it was a Singlepower amp, on the other hand... ;D

What did you tell them was wrong with it when you sent it in, since there was no cable attached?

Poor Canadian have to pay $7.00

"Your stock amp sucks so I've taken the liberty of recabling it so I can use it with a KGSS" :D

True dat, I only have the E/90 right now and I find the ESP950 brightish and slightly harsh with weird bass that doesn't extend very low. I prefer them to the HD650 though, even in this state. I had forgotten how much I like the very open and detailed sound of stats, though I probably didn't give a fair chance to the Senns with a Pico. I'm waiting for the cheap bastard DIY electrostatic amp to materialize, but I could buy a used Stax amp if I see one along the way.

mother fuck. The squeal is back and the headphones have been in my hands for maybe 5 hours

I think I've heard something resembling a small squeal the other night for what it's worth, but nothing compared to my old pair. It's still worrying though, there must be some solution to fix this.

Well it turns out that Koss repaired my headphones not replaced them. The pick ticket says to "replace - H,B, Assembly, Cushion Adhesive Ring, Cover foam, and serial label". I find the replacement of the serial label the most interesting, since they didn't replace the The driver came back more screwed as before because the little mesh/plastic ring was broken.

Sent to Koss:

Hello Shirley,

I picked up my unit from my mailbox today (I have been out of town) and on first listen the right driver is still damaged and squealing. The driver also felt loose so I took a look inside the unit and the plastic ring for that held the driver in place was broken and the driver just fell out. I attempted to put the driver together and somewhat succeded but the squeal is still there.I hope this is not what Koss usually calls "repaired".

Should I send the unit back in and wait another couple weeks for a fully functional replacement pair? Is it possible to just have the drivers and y cable sent to me? I would rather not have to wait through the whole process all over again. If I must I must.

Regards,

etc...

We'll see if I hear anything. I doubt I will and I will now have to send my glued together unit back to them and wait again.

What were they thinking? That the squeal was air pressure? Or friction?

I don't know but my new head band and cosmetic repairs should fix it all! :palm:

I sent a long letter telling them that the squeal was in the right driver. Maybe I should push a pencil through the damn thing and then send it in.

Well, with the ESP950 unplugged for 26 hours it only took 30 seconds to charge up tonight, with the vague possibility that the left driver might be taking up to 60-90 seconds to get that last 1dB of imbalance caught up. They sound really good, and I think we'll just wait a while before sending them in for this minor issue. If they are used every day it is a non-issue.

• 2 weeks later...