Koss ESP/950 electrostat thread

deepak

Well mine are supposed to ship out today so hopefully I'll get them later this week. I'm a little concerned because they took at least a week with them so I'm guessing they "repaired" them. I hope they didn't do what they did last time and just fix the cosmetic issues without replacing the drivers. I did email customer service several times so hopefully they did the right thing and replaced them.

Glad to hear they made it right for you Chris. Besides, with the parts they replaced last time, your pair should be in excellent shape I imagine. Did they replace just the single driver, or the pair?

The return mailing paperwork said "replace transducer" but to me it looks like they replaced the pair. I could be remembering wrong though. In the end "replace transducer" could even mean replace the headphones? Who knows.

They look brand new and sound great that's all I care about in the end.

Got mine today (APS modded and recabled). Sounds damn nice out of the y1 and T1S (haven't tried with the E/90 cause it is not set to EU voltage) but I guess with the Pico it will be better (I will compare the two).

Only trouble is, when I move my head, it is a bit noisy, maybe because the the fit is not optimal for my big ears. I had some issues with the LNS as well (with old pads) but not with the almost brand new SR-404 that I listened to a while ago.

Only trouble is, when I move my head, it is a bit noisy, maybe because the the fit is not optimal for my big ears.

Wow, you must have some huge ears. As for the E90, it can be fun to try, but I wouldn't bother buying a wall-wart if you don't have one, the performance of the T1S is simply superior. Welcome to the very select club of ESP950 owners. :D

Only trouble is, when I move my head, it is a bit noisy, maybe because the the fit is not optimal for my big ears. I had some issues with the LNS as well (with old pads) but not with the almost brand new SR-404 that I listened to a while ago.

Crinkly type sound? I get that too, or when I open my mouth while wearing them. All of my Lambda series can be made to do it, but it takes much more work. You basically have to be trying on those, it seems.

I fiddled a bit with the fit and now it is much better. The bass is significantly more than with the LNS and the soundstage is a bit smaller but overall it is more enjoyable(need to hear it with a better source, though).

Now I just need to hear from somebody who had no trouble with validating the warranty outside the US and nothing more to worry about :)

Now I just need to hear from somebody who had no trouble with validating the warranty outside the US and nothing more to worry about :)

I had no trouble sending my ESP950 to their US factory and getting it back to Canada for a total of 7$ + shipping.

That's probably due to the loose dustcover on the front of the drivers.

I sorta figured, but never really knew for sure. Probably worse on the pair I have because there is no foam over the dustcover. Its really very loose, though I guess it needs to be at least to an extent so that it doesnt act as a second diaphragm. Aspects of these headphones are amazing, but other stuff just doesnt seem to be as well thought out.

Perforated? The dust cover has tiny perforations in it.

The dustcover on the side facing the ear should be a sheet of mylar or PVC that is secured by a ring around the driver. There is a woven nylon dustcover on the back. Being Koss there is no way to be sure that they haven't changed something though...:palm:

I sorta figured, but never really knew for sure. Probably worse on the pair I have because there is no foam over the dustcover. Its really very loose, though I guess it needs to be at least to an extent so that it doesnt act as a second diaphragm. Aspects of these headphones are amazing, but other stuff just doesnt seem to be as well thought out.

If the dust cover is tight as a drum then it changes the impedance of the air next to the main membrane and thus the damping of the driver. That dustcover is almost like an afterthought and it wouldn't surprise me since none of the older Koss models had external dustcovers.

The dustcover on the side facing the ear should be a sheet of mylar or PVC that is secured by a ring around the driver. There is a woven nylon dustcover on the back. Being Koss there is no way to be sure that they haven't changed something though...:palm:

If the dust cover is tight as a drum then it changes the impedance of the air next to the main membrane and thus the damping of the driver. That dustcover is almost like an afterthought and it wouldn't surprise me since none of the older Koss models had external dustcovers.

Diaphragm, damping, same thing. It is freaking annoying sometimes, but I havnt gotten around to trying to do anything about it yet.

Okay after a few days I discovered that the dustcover (shall I call it like that?) noise is actually coming from the left driver. It is a barely audible popping noise (sometimes fast sometimes slow) and it comes from near the cable connection and that is transformed to the dustcover. This is with zero volume and no source connected. Not enough yet to bother with removing the cable and sending it back to the USA but a little worrying.

What are these popping noises you hear? Do they sound electrical in nature?

I hear noises when I move them around or open my mouth. I think it's the dust cover or diaphragm. They are always very soft and don't bother me. So far no high pitched electrical sounding stuff that might indicate a problem. I also don't listen to my set that much and keep them in the bag at all times.

No, I am sure the left driver is the source of this noise, I checked it with the earpads removed as well and it is somewhere down, near the cable connection. Sometimes it goes away but sometimes in some tracks it reaches audible levels so it can become rather annonying. Other issue I recently found is channel imbalance but I need to check it with the E/90 as well to be 100% sure. Sometime in the future it will be sent to KOSS but as I recently learned, from the EU it can be tricky so I might organize a loan with somebody here who is interested in hearing it, hoping that in the end I will get a new set back :)