Koss ESP/950 electrostat thread

deepak

• 1 month later...

Just got home and my 950s were waiting for me. i think i might seriously be in love with these things already. im not sure i've heard another electrostat yet that i would replace these with. outside of maybe upgrading my future hf-2s to hp1ks, i think im done with fullsize headphones.

Just got home and my 950s were waiting for me. i think i might seriously be in love with these things already. im not sure i've heard another electrostat yet that i would replace these with. outside of maybe upgrading my future hf-2s to hp1ks, i think im done with fullsize headphones.

Woohoo welcome to the dark side of the electrostat world. Staxes are overrated and made to bleed ears (at least mine). Gets too painful to have them on my ears. The ESP950 on the other hand are just perefect and actually do have the potential to scale really well with amplification.

Now you need a better amp :)

Can't recommend the Stax SRM1-MK2 enough as a starter amp for the ESP950. I would have sold my Koss stat if I didn't have an SRM1-MK2. THe jump from the stock E/90 is that huge. From nothing to insanely awesome.

I'm like, beyond tapped out, so no amp upgrade for awhile for me. I'm considering a transformer box + Peachtree Nova on the amp side, but nothing's gonna happen quick, so I'll see what pops up.

The bass is awesome so far. I'd never guess they were stats. The pleather is ballsacks though. My ears were sweating within 10 minutes. I kinda wish they were closed, because I'm flying to new york tomorrow, and I'd take the whole goddamn kit with me on the plane.

I've been enjoying my pair as well, and I agree the earpads are horrendous. Speaking of which, are there better pads that can be used in place of the stock pads?

I'm impatiently waiting for my SRM-1 Mk2PP to arrive - has anyone tried changing the bias to 620v on SRM-1 Mk2?

Edited by Salt Peanuts

I've been enjoying my pair as well, and I agree the earpads are horrendous. Speaking of which, are there better pads that can be used in place of the stock pads?

I don't know of any stock pads that will fit but I was once going to mount ESP950 drivers in a HE90 like shell and use HE90 earpads. :)

I'm impatiently waiting for my SRM-1 Mk2PP to arrive - has anyone changing the bias to 620v on SRM-1 Mk2?

You can't modify the stock bias supply to do that but you can build a small adjustable one and mount it to the sidewall of the amp or something like that. Run it off the main transformer and B+

The stock pads and reliability are my two biggest issues with the ESP950. Sound is great, frame is middlin, pads and reliability suck. At least it doesnt really fart though, but that probably has more to do with the fact that the pads dont even approach sealing.

You could add an additional stage to the srm1/mk2 bias supply and make it adjustable or load it somehow to get 620v, but there is no good place to put it. You could possibly mount it to the sidewall, but it would be difficult to do in a manner which doesnt interfere with the mounting of the top panel.

I don't know of any stock pads that will fit but I was once going to mount ESP950 drivers in a HE90 like shell and use HE90 earpads. :)

HE90 earpads would cost more than ESP950, IIRC.

As for changing the bias, was just curious if anyone had done it (or if it was even feasible), as I've got no appropriate skills to do so myself anyways.

I never have had any problems with the ESP950 pads..in fact i find them to be really comfortable. I would of course love to have a pair of custom pads made if i can..

I picked up my Lambda Pro and SRM-1/Mk2PP from the post office this morning. Wanted to hear the difference the Stax amp would make over E90, so I put on ESP950 and turn on the E90.

The cans are squealing. :mad:

It's soft enough, but they're definitely squealing and I can hear it even when songs are playing since the squeals are at relatively constant level.

At least Lambda Pro sound decent, though I should get new earpads for them.

For those of you who have sent ESP950 back to Koss for warranty repair, did you guys contact them first or did you just send them in with "a note describing the failure, as well as your contact information: name, return shipping address, phone number and email" as per Koss website?

I just registered, and sent the e/90, 950s and a check with the note.