4 pin xlr cable, one ground wire?

Guest troymadison

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure my heart could stand googling this to see wtf it is. The name certainly exudes confidence and quality, however...

lmilhan wrote a review of the Big Joe saying it sounded just as good or only slightly worse than a Pass Labs Aleph 3 (which I am highly skeptical of his claims, but they might be true he was using a really low end source, Entech or something) which is why I think so many people started using it as a budget K1000 amp.

Guest troymadison

@deepak

I think the k1000 without the grills give me a pinch more detail. Its kind of subtle, but it's there. However, I'd rather protect them so I am going to go for the grills I guess.

@deepak

I think the k1000 without the grills give me a pinch more detail. Its kind of subtle, but it's there. However, I'd rather protect them so I am going to go for the grills I guess.

The differences are subtle even when I was using a pretty decent system backing the k's. I didn't notice any difference in detail but it sounded like the mid treble region was slightly less emphasized with the grills off. Whether or not it's the grills or sample variation; I have no idea.

Guest troymadison
The differences are subtle even when I was using a pretty decent system backing the k's. I didn't notice any difference in detail but it sounded like the mid treble region was slightly less emphasized with the grills off. Whether or not it's the grills or sample variation; I have no idea.

BTW, the cable you made is actually my favorite since it's not too long and it is less springy than the hardwired k1000 cable. The anti-cables one I got was decent but its almost impossible for me to mount banana plugs on it. Since I bought a speaker selector just recently on amazon, I don't have to deal with those damn plugs anymore except for the ones wired into my amp.

BTW, the cable you made is actually my favorite since it's not too long and it is less springy than the hardwired k1000 cable. The anti-cables one I got was decent but its almost impossible for me to mount banana plugs on it. Since I bought a speaker selector just recently on amazon, I don't have to deal with those damn plugs anymore except for the ones wired into my amp.

Cool, it's a decent cable. If you can DIY try out an all silver cable. Again YMMV how big a difference it will make.

The stock adapter isn't great, and those metal things they put on the ends of it are cringe worthy shit.

Guest troymadison
never mind, I give up, you're deaf.

I can hear sounds pretty well between 20hz-20khz. I know what I like (What sounds good to me) and what I dislike (What sounds bad to me). The ones I've sold and tried weren't necessarily bad, they just didn't do much for me. My headphone amp isn't horrible, it is a gilmore lite. It did make my HD650s sound better, but I still didn't like the HD650s. I do like the Gilmore Lite though, it is a wonderful amp, but so is my Big Joe. My favorite headphone out of my Gilmore Lite is the QP250 and a close second would be the K501, end of story. And if I already thought that the K1000 sounds just perfectly fine out of my setup, why try to convince me otherwise? Why would I try a $1000-$3000 amp as a reference if I already have my current surroundings? I've been to live concerts and I used to play an instrument in high school. How is that not a good enough way to tell if my headphone sounds good enough?

Guest troymadison
I find it ironic that the Big Joe's logo is the silhouette of a troll.

Seriously -- I've heard some of the Firestone gear -- it's 'meh', nothing special, not terribly bad, not terribly good. Something along the lines of the Creek OBH-11.

Weird thing is, I think it is either a hit or miss from their company. I didn't like their fubar II DAC at all, but I like their Big Joe Amp.

How is that not a good enough way to tell if my headphone sounds good enough?
Quite simply, because it's all about synergy. The headphone/amp interaction will affect the sound more than your hearing, in cases.

Here's something you can probably try -- connect it to a speaker amp. Any speaker amp, even BPC, will probably sound better than trying to drive it out of a dinky headphone amp.

Guest troymadison
Quite simply, because it's all about synergy. The headphone/amp interaction will affect the sound more than your hearing, in cases.

Here's something you can probably try -- connect it to a speaker amp. Any speaker amp, even BPC, will probably sound better than trying to drive it out of a dinky headphone amp.

Are you talking about me connecting a K1000 into a headphone amp? I am using them out of a power amp that gives 16watts per channel, which is the big joe I have been mentioning.

Guest troymadison

The only thing I pretty much dislike about the k1000 is that if you position them wrong, they tend not to sound as good. There's this sweet spot I have and if I use it the same way all the time, I am always happy using them for the most part.

If you want to know, I guess you could look at my profile.

I did. The only dynamic can amp you have tried is a Gilmore Lite? Certainly a solid amp, but certainly not one I would pick as driving the 650, 501 or 701 to their potential. I guess my original supposition was not too far off.