interesting sudden plan...interesting to cj, that is

crappyjones123

so while driving back from school with my dad (picked him up from his office on the way home) we were talking about fireworks on 4th of july and i jokingly suggested that we take a trip to orlando and spend some time at the theme parks. oddly enough he said yes. neither of my parents have ever been there so it should be a great trip. going to leave tomorrow after my classes and then come back on sunday. looking forward to a good time.

My family and I took many trips to Disney World when I was younger. Now that my sister has a couple o' kids we've gone the past two years (mom, dad, me, sister, bro-in-law, lil' nieces), and the same group + postjack's GF are going again this year in December. I'm not a big Disney movie guy, but I'm a huge Disney park guy. :) enjoy!

Take a lot of deodorant and many changes of clothes. Orlando in July is like 98% humidity and a fair amount of mesquitos. Enjoy wishing you a safe journey.

I was there once, in high school. My school marching band was part of a parade at Disney world. Full polyester wool uniforms. It was so hot, even though it was early spring at the most :eek:

"there is no such thing as fun for the whole family."

dad was too big of a wimp to go on any rides after his first one. mom didnt want to make him wait outside alone so she stayed with him. i was left to stand in lines for hours at a time because i didnt want to sit around doing nothing.

all in all, seemed like the usual family holiday.

ps. my sister is in india currently. seems as if she lucked out by not being here.

My family took exactly one family vacation in 1971, driving cross-country from Michigan to Disney Land in CA, with all the "educational" stops in between. My brothers and I pounded on each other the entire way, and by the time we hit Disney Land, no one was happy. Don't think we ever fully recovered. I hated Disney Land and have never been to Disney World, even though I've lived in Florida now for over twelve years.

"there is no such thing as fun for the whole family."

dad was too big of a wimp to go on any rides after his first one. mom didnt want to make him wait outside alone so she stayed with him. i was left to stand in lines for hours a time because i didnt at want to sit around doing nothing.

all in all, seemed like the usual family holiday.

ps. my sister is in india currently. seems as if she lucked out by not being here.

He wouldn't go on *any* rides? You couldn't even get him on "It's a Small World" (after all, it's a small world afterall, it's a small world afterall. It's a small, small world.)" Phew maybe I can avoid that being stuck in my head since I typed it all out... Like Cartman with "Come Sail Away".

But yeah I got you on the "usual family holiday" bit. Mine usually ended up with the 'rents arguing about something stupid and my dad disappearing and returning a much mellower happier person, if you get the drift.

Going July 4th weekend wasn't your best move. The hours of lines could've been avoided in say, October. Also the heat.

So, was that your first amusement park? Never been on a *real* roller coaster? I say it's time for Team Florida to hit Busch Gardens. Well, not time right now. In the off season, and when its cooler. They've got rides that would instantly turn your pops into a pile of dust, apparently.

I say it's time for Team Florida to hit Busch Gardens. Well, not time right now. In the off season, and when its cooler. They've got rides that would instantly turn your pops into a pile of dust, apparently.

Depending on timing, this could be a lot of fun.

Going July 4th weekend wasn't your best move. The hours of lines could've been avoided in say, October. Also the heat.

I say it's time for Team Florida to hit Busch Gardens. Well, not time right now. In the off season, and when its cooler.

I thought now through September is the off season! :confused::eek:

CJ,

You may not appreciate it now, but you had a good day in the grand scheme of things. There will come a time when your parents are no longer around. You will miss them. You will wish you had spent more time with them when they were around. You get to keep the memories of this trip. At some point all you will have is the memories. Cherish them.

this just turned from a poor experience to downright retarded. just got home after i protested to a rather stupid move on my parents' part. (both of them are indian fyi) on thursday i wanted to eat out someplace nice but my dad kept saying oh no, its orlando, all restaurants are open late blah blah blah and i kept telling him most of them close at 10:30pm so the night we got there i had to eat frozen microwaveable crap from walmart because everything else was closed. i was also promised that over the course of the next few days i would be treated to someplace "nice." i figured maybe some grill or steakhouse where i could order a nice juicy steak and pretend to be eating a really well done chicken breast and my parents could have seafood. come friday, my dad got sick after the first ride he took and consequently spent the rest of the day having a conversation with the food he had had the previous day. as a result, we missed the big fireworks show on the 4th but he was sick so i didnt care as much. sat i was promised that after the park closed we would spend some time at city walk and visit a live music and dinner place and guess what happened...we are too tired blah blah blah. it was too late again to eat out so i had to resort to corn flakes that i had brought with myself. oh and just before we came home i inquired as to my feast since this whole trip was my treat. being a college student with a crapton of loans, being able to pay for the whole weekend was a pretty freaking big deal for me and i was hoping for them to have a good time since they had never been to someplace that nice. going back to the part about them being indian, its fairly obvious that we eat indian food every freaking day. after 2 days of putting up with their excuses and pretty much walking around a theme park alone which was LOADS of fun. i was woken up from my nap only to find that the "nice" restaurant that the 2 of them had picked was a run down indian shack with poor service and god awful food. at that point my patience ran out and i revolted. what was so wrong of me to request that we not eat the same food we have every single day. i refused to go in but in stead of getting a ride to a different restaurant, i received an hour long lecture about how i had forgotten my indian culture and i had stopped respecting my parents and had grown "non - indian."

grahame, i understand what you are saying but you cant quite honestly call that a good day in the grand scheme of things. i dont regret taking them but just like boomana, i certainly wont be offering to do so anytime in the near future.

to team florida - as long as you gents and lady dont suggest an indian joint to eat at, i will probably be game. knowing that you lot party into the wee hours of the morning, i also dont think id be worried about having to leave early. rather im worried about having to keep up with you :eek: name me the time and place and given enough time to plan ahead, i shall try to make it (provided mike gives me a ride again :P)

I thought now through September is the off season! :confused::eek:

Not especially, lots of kids out of school and whatnot. Plus you've got a long weekend going on. The fact that he had to wait in line for "hours" means it was rediculous busy. Granted I haven't been to Disney in about 10 years but they've always been fairly efficient with the lines.

i refused to go in but in stead of getting a ride to a different restaurant, i received an hour long lecture about how i had forgotten my indian culture and i had stopped respecting my parents and had grown "non - indian."

I'd guess that 90% of the people here have gone through similar times with their parents. You're 22, and still living at home, so some of it you'll just have to take. I was still going to church to make them happy and laying low until I moved out at 21. It's all about keeping the peace if you're still hanging around at home. It does suck that you did such a nice thing for them and got nothing but this crap in return. I guess you've learned not to bother, but that's fine too. Sounds like their priorities are much different.

I'll go ahead and say it though... This whole thread sounds more like the work of a 16 year old than a 22 year old (thus the reason I called it "twittery" before). Maybe you're just real lucky that your relationship at home worked out until now, and you didn't have to go through all this in high school. Maybe this same rebellion has been going on for 6-10 years. I don't know. Just remember that other people can perceive your complaints as immature. Throwing a tantrum in the car and subsequently getting a lecture sure sounds like teenage behavior to me. Time to figure out some balance in that relationship. Usually balance is just accepting that you'll never change their crap and moving on. That's pretty much how it went for me.

called a few places today, shall go apartment hunting on wednesday. if this whole thing goes south, im coming after you matt :P

anyone do something special this weekend? bbq with the family or perhaps a short vacation?

ps. in light of my sudden enlightenment of this thread's uselessness, feel free to delete it. hopefully the web space can go to a less stupider thread.

went to a friend's birthday bbq on friday, saturday same group of friends hit a water park in orange beach, alabama. was fun as hell. :) I got badly sun burnt though and have spent the last twenty four hours shirtless and slathered in aloe vera gel. Gave me lots of time to listen to music though, albeit sitting straight up so as not to get gel all over my chairs. :D

Tomorrow me and the GF are heading up north to Birmingham to see friends and do whatever folks in Birmingham do (my understanding is its something with steel and loving the govna'). Then Wednesday its back home to embrace my speaker rig and rock records into the AM my man. :dance: