Opinions on the Pass D1 "clone"?

fierce_freak

Of course it's not an exact clone due to several changes, but I was wondering what opinions of the project might be. Check it out here/.

I'm considering taking that and doing some mods to it or taking the Buffalo and building a DAC around that, or maybe even the PCM1794 or PCM1704. I'm just throwing this out here to see what kind of opinion I get.

Just received the board and all the parts except the transformers and resistors. Should be fun stuffing this one. Lots of parts in tight spaces.

As what would be better I guess I will only know once it's done. I would think that the Sabre8 on paper is a better DAC than the PCM63s but what really matters is how it sounds. Let you know in a couple days/month :)

Yeah, I would assume the Sabre8 is the superior part on paper, easily. I did order the D1V3 kit a few days ago, so I'm hoping it'll ship out by the 14th. I often see the PCM63 (along with AD1862) lauded as the best DAC chip ever for subjective sound quality, but you never know.

I was mainly asking as I'll have to sell one or the other as I don't have the need or the cash to keep both around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's all up and running ghetto style. I have a DIR9001 receiver, PMD100 digital filter, and the PCM63P-K DACs. Many thanks to Pars for hooking me up with -V reg to get it going.

So far I think it sounds very very good. I plan on letting it burn in for about two minutes to two years then compare it to the Buffalo.

I might also look into adding a external clock and upgrading the analog PS caps.

P1010350.jpg

It's all up and running ghetto style. I have a DIR9001 receiver, PMD100 digital filter, and the PCM63P-K DACs. Many thanks to Pars for hooking me up with -V reg to get it going.

So far I think it sounds very very good. I plan on letting it burn in for about two minutes to two years then compare it to the Buffalo.

I might also look into adding a external clock and upgrading the analog PS caps.

P1010350.jpg

you need some nice big Rifa PHE caps that would color coordinate with your build :)