closed headphones...$225ish

mzisman4

Up until about 30 minutes ago, I was set on picking up a pair of Denon AH-D2000 (based on head-fi reviews). But after reading 10+ pages of reasons not to get them I am back at square one. I have never purchased a pair of 'high end' headphones and unfortunately, have no means of demoing them. Therefore I am relying on your opinons and experiences to make up my mind. I do not have an amp but am planning to pick up an ibasso boa when I save up enough cash. I currently have about $300 but would like to set aside about $75 to start an 'amp savings'. I will however, dig into that if needed to get a better pair of cans. The only headphones I know are in this range are the Denon AH-D2000 and Beyerdynamic dt770. I would be open to an 'open' pair but I have heard that a lot of sound gets out. I plan to use these in my dorm room and would like to avoid annoying my roomates.

Source: Ipod 30g (re-recording my tracks now), Anyhting form oldies to hip-hop

Thanks for anything you guys can give

I'd go for the Denon D2000 over the DT770 any day. Now that the D2000s price has dropped quite significantly I actually think they are a pretty good deal for the money.

Unless you'd be willing try IEM's then I think you could do a lot better sound quality wise.

I'd suggest, if you're still looking at closed, the ATH-ESW9, unless you have a big head or really big ears. They have a really nice sound, are semi-portable (I wouldn't want to wear them out and about on campus, but good for a dorm or library). They don't really leak too much, but aren't the best for isolation. They run right around $300, but don't need an amp to sound good. On other other hand, if I were living in a dorm, I'd just pick up a pair of Sony MDR-V6s or 7560s. They sound pretty good, can take a bit of a beating, and run around $80, so if something happens to them, it's not that big of a deal. Otherwise, if you can do open, see if you can get some used HD580s or 600s, and you'll have some bucks left over for an amp.

Depends on what loud/noticeable is. My grados leak a decent amount more the senns but if your roommates arent right next to you, they shouldnt mind.

The more important thing is that you wont be able to listen to your open headphones if your roommate has a TV on or has speakers on.

Guest troymadison

You'd probably be very happy with the D2000. The DT770 is also pretty good if you want more bass, more isolation and want to save some money, but the sound quality lacks a bit (hollow sounding).

REALLY? wow I hadn't even considered that. Thanks, I think I'm goingto keep looking for a closed set. I am still searching but I cannot find many...

are the ESW9 worth the extra $100 over the AH-D2000? (taking a portable amp into consideraton)

In your experiences, is the leaked sound really that loud/noticable?

If you're referring to the ESW9s, you can play music at moderate to almost loud and not bother anyone, even if close by.

You'd probably be very happy with the D2000. The DT770 is also pretty good if you want more bass, more isolation and want to save some money, but the sound quality lacks a bit (hollow sounding).

I am not a fan of either the D2000s or DT770s, and though I thought Darth Beyers were fun, I wouldn't consider them if they were my only headphone.

REALLY? wow I hadn't even considered that. Thanks, I think I'm goingto keep looking for a closed set. I am still searching but I cannot find many...

are the ESW9 worth the extra $100 over the AH-D2000? (taking a portable amp into consideraton)

I happen to like the ESW9s and think they're worth it when compared to other closed headphones out there. They also don't need an amp, so you can take that out of your budget, though you might want to get one down the line (I liked the inexpensive MiniBox E+ with them), as they can benefit from one. Other folks have been happy with the D2000s. If you live anywhere near a meet, it's really the best way to find out for yourself.

Guest troymadison
I am not a fan of either the D2000s or DT770s, and though I thought Darth Beyers were fun, I wouldn't consider them if they were my only headphone.

Same here, they are both long gone and I moved on to bigger and better things :)

However, I still have my eyes on markl modded D5000s...

My very limited experience with the Denons have not been positive so far. They're not for everyone, but I'd consider the Ultrasone 780s. They're decent with the iPod at max, but you would do better with an amp. Another easier to drive phone would be the AT A900. And I'd go closed with a roommate even if they didn't complain. Just seems common courtesy.

one more question, would the ibass boa work well with the ESW9s?

It has great reviews but someone mentioned having to find matching impedences (sorry specs are greek to me). I was told that the Denons require a low impedence output amp (the headphones are 25 ohm impedence). The ESW9s have an impedence of 42 ohms. the ibasso has an output of 32 ohms (?)-got the spec from head-fi. Would this be good for the ESW9s? AH-D2000s?

Please don't give me science talk...a yes/no or well/badly is what I'm looking for. I have no idea what those numbers mean I just regurgitated what i was told is important...I realize I may have wasted about 10 mins but its worth a shot

Thanks