New Denon Cans

n_maher

Wasn't there some info a while back about how the whole D# line was manufactured by someone else and just rebranded by Denon?

Foster/Fostex. Something that looked like the D5000 was shown at some convention in Japan at the Fostex booth, boasting its biocellulosity.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
AT uses good quality exotic woods. They do use toners on some of their cups, but I think the idea behind that was to embody the Japanese Red lacquer technique, so that's quite acceptable to me.

The Macassar Ebony on the W5000 is beautiful, and should set a standard for headphones in that price range.

swt61, would you be interested in "re-cuping" my d5000s?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a set on pre-order. I wasn't a fan of the 2000 so I made the jump to the 5000s. I'm not sure the jump was worth it in the long run. In my set up the differences were slight. I do really Like the 5000s being my first woodie. But I'm hoping the 7000 is better in all respects? I said " I'd never get rid of the 5000s" But if the 7000s are be all end all they will have to go to a new home.

Wasn't there some info a while back about how the whole D# line was manufactured by someone else and just rebranded by Denon?

Yeah it's Fostex. They have put the same driver inside the Creative live set. The Denon D-1000s. Creative also has a higher line, Forget the model #? While I was at Frys over in Orange County I looked at them and just by looking it seems the drivers are the same as the D2000. I didn't get a real close look tho, Just from an open package. But the drivers look Very close. I think the retail price was a little over $250.

• 2 weeks later...

D5000's stock aren't really worth the money. I bought them on impulse and regretted it until I saw markl's mod thread and tried the mod. I now like them and sold my GS1k's, et.al - the improvement was that good. I'm actually just finishing the last touches on the mod now (originally modded all but the driver face w/all those little holes) as the last bit of bass fartiness was still observable on poorly recorded (e.g. sting)/live recorded materials. I imagine they'll improve again with this final tweak (what wouldn't after applying all that damping:palm:) and will work out well overall. The GS1k's were still slightly better (more transparent sounding), but with their bass at higher volume issue and their cost, the D5000's modded are an improved and cheaper substitute.

So far, no dynamic can I've met yet (and I've met more than a few) at any price (no R10's ever heard) get everything right. I'm definitely tempted by the stax side of the force, but considering my "profession", I have to stick with dynamics and have to wait to afford a nice pair of electrostats...

P.S. - it looks like Foster/Fostex do a lot more than just the Denon cans - I see some Creative, Panasonic and Cowon earbuds in their lineup, LOL.

• 1 year later...

i lve my d7000, they get even better after burn in, the bass is controlled and the highs are rediculous!! if anything id like even more bass and a little less high,,, admitedly im low end type,,, but these will rattle your temples, in my case i do prefer to eq the treble down a bit if possible,,

i have them running to my audio technica ha25d amp/dac, which also id like to note doenot have strong bass, so with a desktop amp, i may to be able to blow my brains out!! cant wait!! also these soudn very much like speaker,, it is quite impressive how loud you can make these go without distorting,,, be careful you can f your ears up. these cans are surprisingly super light weight( a big plus for me) and dare i say the Most comfortable cans i have worn to date! your ears do not rest on the inerds and there are just comfy and relaxed feeling, the pads are super comfy too, i may plan on modding them with some jmoneys but there is no need to, really they are quite comfy, u may be able to mold the ssig a bit. i highly reccomend these cans and there only other competitor the jvc dx1000 are almost twice the price,,,, i got my denon7000 for 540:) many have told me there bass is superior to the new senn hd800, also its a closed to open back scenario............i only have one major gripe about the d7000, the cord sucks,,,, its fabric lined and it twists very easily so be careful with you 7000 cord,, finally, for me this is not a problem but it seems that they are very large headstrap wize,,,, i donot have a large head, but i find that for best and most secure fitting and comfort, i keep the headstrap extenders closed all the way up, a perfect fit, so my point being if u know u have an unusually small head,,, u may have trouble getting a good fitting and may want to try them out first.

-i will never sell my 7000